Homemade Christmas gifts ideas?

I'd like to get creative with gifts this year instead of the same old chaotic shopping trips. Any ideas for thoughful homemade gifts? Not really under any major budget.

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 2:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• There's some groups on cm dedicated to homemade gifts an I've seen a few posts. I did check out a Martha Stewart Christmas book from the library and saw some really pretty homemade wreaths. My son is going to make homemade snow globes for his grandparents.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Fleece blankets, Patchwork Purses, Cookies, cakes, My husband made picture frames last year. Have fun
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 2:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I'm going to look for that group, thanks apr1l.. and thanks for the picture frame idea emturner!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Last year I made minature banana breads and cookies and candies for all the girls and my husbands office and they loved it. This year I will be making sugar cookies for alot of the kids and I am buying the pens to put with the cookies so they can decorate themselves. I think this is good for the kids that your not really close with and not sure what toys they already have. What kid doesn't like cookies and they can draw what they want on it.
    imajoy

Answer by imajoy at 2:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• when my daughter turned 13, i created a booklet for her of her favorite stories about her year by year. you could make a memory display... stories, sayings, pictures, etc. that are special with you and that person.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• How do you make homemade snow globes? That sounds like a great idea for my daughter to do for her grandparents! I'm making goody baskets for our family and friends. Lots of cookies, cakes, and other treats in them. One year for my Mom and my SO's Mom I bought some large collage picture frames and went through old photos of all of my brother and sisters (and my SO's too) and made collages of all of the Mom's kids and grandkids. They loved it!
    Gretchen0122

Answer by Gretchen0122 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Gretchen0122, all we did is look it up on google and youtube has several videos on how to make snow globes.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 2:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• cookies, candy, bread, soap, candles, quilts, knitted stuff, cross stitch, wooden toys or other wooden stuff. ceramics (you can make easy trivets just by gluing cork to the back of tiles.)

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 4:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Great ideas! Thanks everyone!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• memory quilts now when the little ones are little tear up some of their favorite clothes and get ready to do a quilt for them and or grandmother i still have my 34 year olds pink gignham dress and it goes on the quilt whole as the center piece she loved this bright green jacket did i say bright well it gets a nice place on the back great memories have a merry one
    smoothiequeen

Answer by smoothiequeen at 6:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2008