How many ounces of formula should my 2 month old be eating...and how often?

OwensMom12

Asked by OwensMom12 at 7:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I worked in a pediatrcians office for a couple weeks during my externship and I know his rule of thumb was half of their body weight. So, if he is 12 pounds he should drink about 6 ounces. Most babies that age will eat every 2-3 hours. Of course, this is very general and every baby is different.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 7:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• When my little ones were that little they ate about 3-4 oz every 3-4 hours ( and i did not have bitty babys ...they started at 8.12 , 8.12 and 8.5)
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 7:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It depends on your child. Not your doctor, not other children, but only your child.
    Your child will let you know how much is not enough. If they seem hungry after 2-3 oz's then give them more.
    My son ate 4 oz's of formula from the day he was born. My daughter started at one and slowly progressed to wanting more. By time she was a month old she was drinking 4oz's.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• honestly it should say on the packages of formula, i would say 2-4 oz, every 3-4 hours eventually you will know when your baby is hungry
    THANKGOD4MOMS

Answer by THANKGOD4MOMS at 9:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Not sure about formula, but I know that bf babies need 1 to 1.25 oz per hour. So, my semi-educated guess is 24 to 30 oz a day, maybe 3-4 oz every 3-4 hrs or so? Like I said, this is pretty foreign to me and I'm just going based on what i know of breast milk feeding.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:11 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• 24-32 oz a day total..however many times he normally eats divided by that..so if you want him to eat 6 times a day thats 4-5 oz bottles.
    There is NO need for a baby to take HUGE bottles, it leads to overeatting and this issue can go on for life. Its proven that babies fed from bottles often, whether it be BM or formula will overeat and their stomachs will stretch to accomodate it so they do not puke it up if its a regular thing.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I want to say my dd was drinking about 3 oz every feeding (3-4 hours). I always made an extra .5oz because when she drank that I knew to up her bottle a little more. My baby never ate more than she wanted (and now at 3 she still doesn't!). You want to make sure you're baby isn't hungry and mine only ate til she was full! Sometimes she'd only drink 1.5oz from a 4 oz bottle and wouldn't take another sip because she was still full from the last bottle!
    Every baby is different, some eat more than others! A friend of mine's 2 mo old was drinking 6oz every 2 hours!! Just see what baby wants and don't hold it back. They need everything they can for their bodies to thrive!!! Also, don't worry right now about obesity! Baby is only 2 months old!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I'd just let your baby tell you how much they need. Most babies that young eat every few hours. They'll let you know when they are full or if they want more. The suggestions you'll find are really just guidelines. Even a doctor will tell you that. I always made 4oz bottles at that age and my boys would stop when they were full. Just don't force them to drink more because you think they should. Good luck!
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 18, 2010