What do you send in for birthday parties at school?

My kids' school is a nut-free zone, and the staff has asked that the children not bring food (cake, cookies or goody bags with candy) into school. They want to encourage non-food celebrations. I'm very happy about this but I need ideas. How can I help my 3rd and 5th graders celebrate their birthdays in the classroom?

RedRowan

Asked by RedRowan at 7:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make a special birthday crown for the birthday person to be king or queen for the day...have everyone make them a colorful origami figure to take home....it can be made into a mobile to hang from their ceiling....Present them to the king or queen after singing happy birthday...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• When my son was in PreK his teacher tried to limit the goodie-bag/ cake thing coming into school. Her suggestions were: come in or have someone else come in and do a special project: art, or have someone come play guitar. I brought in a bug collection and the kids went wild over it, my son was so proud. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Well, at my kid's schools, teachers will ask that your child bring in a special book to share with the class or for you to come in and read that special book to the class in honor of your child's birthday. If you have more time and ask the teacher if it would be okay, maybe you and your child can plan an easy craft for the class to do for his/her birthday.
    LindaL77

Answer by LindaL77 at 8:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• When my kids were in school, they didn't celebrate every kids' birthdays. !970's and 1980's. Is this s new thing? I don't see any reason to have a birthday thing for each kid.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We are allowed to bring in food on a pre-approved list. If you CAN bring food, soft pretzels are usually a hit.
    Otherwise - give every kid a silly band. :)
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 10:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Go to www.orientaltrading.com and find all sorts of things!
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Little goodie bags are always fun, notpads, pencils, stickers, tattoos, etc.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• good bags with pencils, stickers, little dollar store items, bouncy balls. The new one around here seems to be cups filled with little items. I don't know who started it but in the last 2 years I've ended up with a ton of plastic cups!
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Just a small bag with goodies in it for the kids like silly bands, erasers, pencils and stuff
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Great ideas from everyone.

kerp1960, yes, birthdays are crazy, way over the top these days. It's not mandatory to send anything in, but most people do.
    RedRowan

Comment by RedRowan (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010