he spanked him

my son will be 2 in a week. he spent the night at my in laws last night. when we picked them up, my FIL said he was good, but he had to get on him once. he said he dumped some motor oil and played in it in the garage. he told him not to do it again, well my son being a 2 year old did it again. he told us "i had to get on him and swat his bottom". we have never spanked my so and I have not planned on doing it unless as a last resort when hes a little older. my FIL is an old country guy who is very strict. hes set in his ways, and believes that spanking is the way to go. my husband believes in spanking, but also thinks my son is too young. i'm so upset about this and keep finding myself crying picturing my baby getting spanked. he has no marks, and didnt seem upset when we got him. i dont know if he just did it real quick, or actually pulled his pants down. am i over reacting. i'm such a mess. i dont want to start start trouble.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 7:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• he didn't say he gave him a beating.....he said he gave him a swat on his bottom. it's not a big deal, but if don't want it to happen that way again you need to tell your in laws how you want them to dicipline him. but playing in motor oil is a major deal....i would be more concerned about that than a swat on the bottom. it seems to me they were not watching him close
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• you have a right to want to disipline your child your way. I would just politly ask FIL how the spanking was done( quick swat...or pants down) after he lets you know dont be angry with him just explain that thats not the way you would like you son to be disiplined. having your SO with you would be a good idea also. GL.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It doesn't sound like he gave him any more than a swat, but if you don't want him spanked, let everyone that watches him know.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If you feel funny about it talk calmly to your Fil, but I dont think you need to dwell on it. Your son most likey hasnt thought twice about it. Now henows not to play in motor oil because it will harm you, he could have swallowed it and really been hurt. Dont loose sleep over it your son isn't just let your FIL know you rather him not discipline that way.Give him suggestions on what he should do is your son doesnt listen.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It's one spank, didn't seem to scar him. Tell your FIL to please not do it again without your permission. Let it go.
    Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 7:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• First off its a single swat and even if it wasn't no marks so no worries. You do need to tell them what they are allowed to do discipline wise though. I think you are over reacting but if you go off on him you will really be doing so.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If you guys don't want to do spanking till later, then let your FIL know next time. I am sure no "damage" has been done to your son, though, and I personally don't think 2 is too young to be spanked. We did it from 1 till 'round 6. But whatever works for you guys and your child is what you should do - don't beat yourself up about it :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 7:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Yes you are dear sorry... spoil the kid spare the rod... in his age that is easy to do... but think if he turns 6 and has not felt the rod do you think he would fear anyone...
    ScarletReese

Answer by ScarletReese at 8:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• No, you are not over reacting. We did spank our kids when they were younger, but no one else was allowed to. I would be livid if my in laws thought they had the right to touch my child. I would talk to him and let him know that no one besides you and your husband will be using any form of corporal punishment on your children.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Yes, you re overreacting,if you don't want anybody to correct your child keep the brat at home or with you! Sorry, but that;s how I feel, and I bet the kid doesn't get in the oil again! And I will bet that next time Grandpa tells him not to do something, he'll at least think twice about it! Your son wasn't abused, he wasn't damaged in any way, it's amazing what a swat will accomplish, you should try it sometime. I make it clear to everybody-my house, my rules, and if they don't like it keep their kids out of here.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 11:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010