Is 16 years old too young to date ?

My lil sister is 16 years old & my mom is treating her as if she is 5 . My sister has lied to my mom in the past but my sister asked for her trust again & now she is trying to be honest with her & let my mom get to know himher boyfriend & convince my mom to let them hang out together . Do you think she is too young ?

AshantiJ

Asked by AshantiJ at 7:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• In my house..16 yr olds are not allowed to single 1:1 date. They may go out with 1 or 2 other couples to the movies, ice or roller skating, Whoever is driving has to have my complete trust.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• It sounds like your sister needs to start acting more mature. So far she hasn't given your Mom much to go on. My son will be 16 in Feb. He will be allowed to date then. I am encourages group dates and only on special occassion one-on-one dates. I do think your Mom is trying to be a decent parent by restricting boyfriend-girlfriend alone time. If you want to help then you can try to steer your Mom into okaying more group activities.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 7:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I agree with GrnEyedGrandma....Group dates should be ok. But every parent has different rules.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 7:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I met my husband when I was 16! No dating here till they are 16 then it will be group dates for a while.
    mom23ks

Answer by mom23ks at 7:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i had my first boyfriend when i was 12. We went on group dates ice skating and such with friends. at 16, i started my first real relationship. i personally dont think 16 is too young but i think the parents should stay in touch with whats going on in the relationship and make sure they are safe and protected.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I would like to keep our kids from dating at 16 and have them wait but yes I too dated at 16 so that is about the normal age to start I think. But yes I think a group dating date is a great idea and a curfue(spellin?)!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I think if the person is mature enough and has a good mind about things (example: no sex, no drugs ect).
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i think group dating is okay. But I think kids would be better off waiting.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I was alowed to start dating at 16 (before then I could only go out with a group of friends). I had a few friends who were not allowed to date in high school and they did anyway.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• 16 is perfect time for dating.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010