At what age do babies learn how to breathe out of their mouths?

LogansMamma0511

Asked by LogansMamma0511 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• lol, really?
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I want to say it is around 4 to 6 months of age. I also remember hearing something along the lines of them favoring their nose over their mouth at this young age. Meaning maybe that they usually only use their nose but if need be they can use their mouth? I could be wrong this was just my understanding of it!!
    nat1387

Answer by nat1387 at 9:06 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Do you want a mouth breather? LOL! Anyway, at birth. Or technically while in the womb, only they're breathing liquid then.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I don't think there is ever a time a baby cannot breath out of their mouth.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 10:04 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You don't "learn" to breathe at all, it is an involuntary action required to live. It starts happening before the child is born.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Have any of you ladies never seen a new born baby? Of course breathing is normal... but little babies greatly favor breathing from their noses. This is why those first couple of snotty noses and colds are so hard on new moms- because the little one STILL is trying to breathe from their noses even though it is plugged solid.

Breathing from the mouth is something they do as they begin to need it more- they aren't going to suffocate, but it will be noticeable until they are a few months old.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I didn't mean "learn" ..I meant when do they start breathing out of their mouths more. I know when the are newborn they breathe out of their noses mostly. Just wondering cuz my lil one's nose is all stuffy and he wont let me suck all the snot out. No need for the smart azz answers ...thanks for the good answer HistoryMama :)
    LogansMamma0511

Comment by LogansMamma0511 (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think some people have forgotten what a newborn is like!

Babies, even newborns will breathe through their mouth if necessary, but breathing through their nose is automatic unless it isn't possible.

Everyone should breathe through their nose, there is natural defenses (such as nose hair and mucous) to help catch germs. However, people learn the bad habit of breathing through their mouths. I don't think there is a specific age that this happens.
    kraziandkoul

Answer by kraziandkoul at 8:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I Actually use to think like most people here,
    that breathing was innate therefore instinctively babies would know how to breathe through their mouths but
    Boy was I WRONG! When my nephew got RSV at 2 months he had to be hospitalized for a week, because he was too young
    To know how to breathe through his mouth. That is why it is so important that you protect your baby from getting any kinds of colds until
    They are at least * 5 to 6 months because by then their respiratory patterns are better developed and they will breathe through their mouths, giving them a better chance of survival should they development any respiratory virus.
    Even if you have to isolate yourself from family members especially ones with CHILDREN by all means DO IT!
    You could possibly be saving your child's life! RSV is extremely common especially in the fall and winter so remember
    Hygiene is #1, sterilize and wash baby stuff 2. Limit baby contact.
    Mommydearest009

Answer by Mommydearest009 at 9:06 AM on Sep. 14, 2013