How do you get you kids to keep track of library books so they don't get lost?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 7:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if they are from the school library they keep them in their backpack. from the local library we have a library bag and they know that is where they go.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We have a spot on a bookshelf for library books. They must be kept there. Then when they read their library books, they must sit on the couch (with clean hands), and when finished, put them back.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• for the age group you posted for, I'd have them read in one spot (bed, couch, table) and when they wanted a break they put the book someplace near that spot, but always in the same spot. When they are done its either in the spot or back at the library. If they cant keep track of the book then they either wont get them or get punished (no allowance, no tv or video games ect.) GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• they have to keep them in their rooms. works for us....we check out 10 or 12 a week for a couple of years now and haven't lost one yet (knock on wood!) lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We have an end table where they belong, and my boys (7&10) are pretty good about bringing them back there when they are not reading them.
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 8:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• we have a spot just for library books, they read them and return them to cabnet
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 8:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We have a space on our bookshelf in the living room for library materials. I also have all our library accounts registered in the online library we use. So if I can't remember or if my son can't remember, we check the online library and see what's due.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My kids check out a library book from school each week. They each have a drawer in our dining room table that holds their pencil boxes (for homework) and important papers. I make them put their book in there when they are not reading it.

For lots of books that we check out - I keep them all in the same place until they are ready to go back. If they want to read them, they have to read them and return them to me that day. Usually they are reading them in front of me, so it's easy to keep track. I never let them bring library books to their room because they end up ripping pages, or the baby finds them.
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 9:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We have a library book bag. The kids have to keep all of the library books in the bag when they are not reading them and library books only get used in the living room (where the bag is). When we are ready to go back, the bag goes with us.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• We have a basket to keep the library books in. We haven't lost one yet.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2010