Trendy abortions? If you have had an abortion and are pro choice, are you proud of it?

I really don't like to lable myself as one or the other I guess. So I'm not really taking sides here. I just have never seen people share so openly about their abortions, that they say it's the best thing they ever did, a fetus is an invader and I'll have a baby when I'm ready, or "I've had six!" Or the Tweeting on abortion. Is it trendy to have and abortion now? I guess I'm a little confused.

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.salon.com/life/broadsheet/2010/11/04/ihadanabortion
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• TRENDY? That is making it Into a" fashion statement". NOBODY actually wants to have an abortion foR the heck of it. Wow....where did you come up with THAt?
    I am pro-choice for everyone else and yet pro-life for me---I would not have an abortion unless I knew it woud save my life to end the pregnancy.
    But it is wrong and arrogant and controlling to tell others what to do...it s a personal decision, not my business.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:19 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I did not come up with that. Openly posting your abortion on twitter and how proud you are of it, seems a little trendy. Did you read my post kerp? At all? I read these remarks and they seem awful proud of their abortions.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• just people trying to be provocative. not saying you should be ashamed, but the fact that you had one probably should be taken so lightly to the point that you're shouting it from the roof tops trying to prove a point. If you feel what you did was right become an advocate for pro-choice.
    lovingedward

Answer by lovingedward at 8:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• maybe they are liars and trying to start drama because its such a controversial subject. i wouldn't think abortion has ever or will be trendy. its a choice. to each their own to make their own choices.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Those "I had an abortion" t-shirts are actually sold by Planned Parenthood. I saw an interview with a woman a few years ago talking about how it was time for women to take ownership of it and stop being ashamed. IIRC, I put a question up about it here after the interview to ask how many people would take anyone seriously if they saw them wearing the shirt, and it was pretty unanimous that everyone said no. Most expected it would be teenage/hipster boys wearing them to try to be shocking.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• LOL I live in Minnesota and there are billboards that are anti abortion on the major freeways ans highways. Heavy Catholic areas here.I would love to see the reactions of people to someone wearing a shirt like that. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMG, that would be insane..
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 8:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Those "I had an abortion" t-shirts are actually sold by Planned Parenthood. I saw an interview with a woman a few years ago talking about how it was time for women to take ownership of it and stop being ashamed.

***

This picture is of Jennifer Baumgardner the famous model and designer of the "I had an abortion" shirt.  

This is the kind of thing that is wrong with this country, reducing something like having an abortion, into something to be proud of!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• OMG....that is just so wrong.
    I live in MN too and haven't seen any of the signs but I probably will one of these days. they sure have them down south. I am pro-choice because it is not right to tell people what to do....
    but THAT is just so awful to "brag" about having an abortion. That's crazy.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Highway 10, I94 to I694 all have them. Saint Cloud has a ton of them too.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Nov. 14, 2010