What is ADHD

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD.Can you please explain what it is?My son's dr didn't thoroughly explain it.I have heard some people say it's a disability and some say it's mental.My son acts perfectly normal and does well in school.

alisha34886

Asked by alisha34886 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well he might not have it that bad ADHD is basically he cant pay attintion or stay on task well, I have ADD and I have a hard time sitting and focusing on certain things. in school I did good grad wisem but I still didnt understand certain things. boys are useually the ons who get the ADHD it just adds the fact that he is hyper and energetic on to the ADD. Most children will grow out of it by the time they are adults if not by that time they know how to handle it. you dont have to worry It is not a disability It is basicaly the fact that certain nerons in the brain dont quite connect. usually children are perscribed riddlin to help connect the nerons and help them stay focused.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. He may have trouble sitting still. He may have trouble attending to tasks (school work). if you don't agree with the diagnosis you can always get a second opinon. I would ask the teacher if (s)he is noticing anything in his behavior.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder...your son has trouble staying focused and on task at school and also has a hard time staying in his seat...not his fault; he can't help it. Hopefully, the Dr. put him on medication and you and his teacher will notice a huge change.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 8:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• There is a wide range of issues for kids with ADHD. I can almost write a book on it but not enough space here.. Google ADHD, you will get alot of info, treatments, coping strategies etc.. I know that is not the answer that you wanted but by researching it, it will give you more info than we can. It will also give you the different degrees a person can be affected.. The more you know, the better you will be able to help your child.. Knowledge is power, inform yourself. Research it.. If your son does not fit, get a second opinion...

For some it is a disability for others it is an obstacle to over come and others it is just a thorn in their side.. It just depends on the severity..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2010