Anyone considering a midwife and a home birth?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 8:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had my first w/ a midwife, and that is CLEARLY better than w/ a OBGYN which I had w/ my last - this only counts if you have a good midwife, though. Mine was when I lived in Miami, and on South Beach. Her name is Shari Daniels and she runs Miami Maternity Center - AWESOME PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I was scheduled for a water birth, but my son got stuck in the birth canal, and I had to be transfered to the nearest hospital where I had him w/ pitocin and an epidural, but the whole thing was just sooo calm because of the midwifes approach to the matter, and all the awesome advise they are smack full of :-)
    We then moved up here to NC and the midwife I could find here, was more like a dr.'s office, so I opted to swich to a reg. OBGYN that was closer to my home. In the hospital I was left totally alone 90 % of the time, she only came in when it was time to push....and I had to wait 15 minutes for her before I was allowed to push..
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 8:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I didn't have homebirth but had midwivies with all three and loved it, very personal and relaxed
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 8:14 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• YES!!!! Not pregnant at the moment, but next time my husband and I plan on having a midwife. Looking forward to having the next baby at home!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My DIL had a home water birth with a midwife. Said it was the best thing she ever decided to do. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My daughter was delivered by a nurse/midwife, who is also my sister

Answer by rkoloms at 8:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I went to meet with a Midwife last week and appreciated her kindness and honesty. She can't do a home birth for me because of the distance I live out of town, but she provides a birthing center at her clinic--a huge bed with pull-out couches for family to stay, and a big jacuzzi for a water delivery/laboring.

I've checked into prices. One OB/GYN charges the universal $3250 for prenatal care. The Hospital delivery charges will start at $4000, providing there are no complications. This midwife charges $3500 for prenatal AND delivery at her center.

Cost alone is enough to make me go with the Midwife!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i have a doula but i am having mine at the hospital.
    KheiyahIsLife

Answer by KheiyahIsLife at 9:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Yes, ABSOLUTELY!! I'm actually currently seeing a doctor, and a midwife. The midwife is sooo much better. I can't wait to deliver at home with this wonderful woman there to help me along the way.
    MommyWoes

Answer by MommyWoes at 9:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Yes, I used wonderful midwives!
    Are you considering a homebirth?
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I had a homebirth, just wondering how many on here were thinking of it.
    SweetLuci

Comment by SweetLuci (original poster) at 6:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2010