how long can baby go without food?

My baby has stomach flu or something , had nothing but Pedialyte since Tues. Gave her bannanas today and they came right back up. When do I become concerned can't live on Pedialyte right?

taratt79

Asked by taratt79 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well my son had a virus and he didn't eat for days but i gave him lots of fluids and he was just find and the doctor will tell u that to
    nisha22

Answer by nisha22 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I would definately make a Dr appointment on Monday... but my baby went like 4 days on pedialite. So dont sweat it!!!!
    caridaugh

Answer by caridaugh at 12:52 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• the baby needs lots of fluids, small amounts at a time, and the doctor. not to be bossy but that's too long to go with throwing up. his poor throat has to be in agony.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 2:45 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Tuesday and he is still throwing up. I am so sorry to hear that, it is terrible. You are doing the right thing giving him the pedialyte... they contains essential mineral that body to keep him going.

Try rice cereal( mixed it with the pedialyte) instead banana, if he is old enough try some small torn bread too. How old is your baby? Just my thought!

My both children had stomach flu always 4 times out of their 5 and 7 years life time. I know how terrible and frustrated it is!!! Hang in there.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 3:06 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Does your baby drink formula? Make sure he's drinking formula & the pedialyte. He can survive on that for a long time. Bananas are probably too sweet, switch to applesauce. Also, depending on how old he is, you could also give him freezy pops... yes, they have sugar, but they count as fluids & will help cool him down if he has a fever.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My 9month old just got over this same thing. My DR. told me to try the BRAT diet. Bananas,rice,apples,toast. If she's old enough you might want to try that. Make sure you offer her fluids all through the day(i had to spike his formula w/pedialyte) and don't stress if she only takes a few bites, don't get frustrated with her not eating. She should get better soon. Watch for fever and listlessness, if she's not better in 3-5days,or has a high fever take her into the Dr. Good luck mama
    Jessimica

Answer by Jessimica at 4:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2008