Baby Chapped Lips HELP

My 1month old daughter has the WORST chapped lips due to breastfeeding...is that normal? Is there anything I can do to help her????

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 8:54 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• out vaciline(spelling?) on them or use that nippel gel I forget what it is called now! That also helps you and the baby.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• vasaline but not much just alittle you can also put some vasaline on you nipple befor she nurses
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 8:57 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i think jem is talking about lanolin....that would be good or vaseline. they will both work great. babies get dry skin alot....it's ok
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Vaseline, aquaphor, chap stick. Treat it the same way you would treat yours.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Don't use vaseline...again, I've said it before, vaseline, baby oil, all this shit is mineral oil...what is mineral oil but UNLEADED GAS!!! Use a little bit of EVOO for this as well as cradle cap and all the other dry annoyances on your little angel. Also, when you can't help but have to by over the counter products keep this in mind...if it does have mineral oil or alcohol or any other nasty crap in it, the further down on the ingredients list it is, the less of it there is in the product.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:23 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• pure coconut oil is great for any dry skin, although I agree about the mineral oil but Aquaphor is quite effective
    asulimma

Answer by asulimma at 9:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i would further look into the vasaline, mineral oil is not unleaded gas, there might be types of minerals in unleaded gas but nothing Johnson and Johnson would give us, i could be wrong but my hubby knows all about cars and science crap so i asked him , evoo might work but vasaline has been used for generations now, put a little on ur pinky and just put on baby lips before or after breastfeeding
    THANKGOD4MOMS

Answer by THANKGOD4MOMS at 9:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• There actually is a balm you can get at walmart in the baby section. For the life of me I can't think of the name of it though. It is for cracked or chapped nipples so it is perfectly safe for newborns. The can nurse as soon as you put it on your breast so it won't hurt the baby if she eats it. I know it starts with L and the only thing that is coming to mind is lanolin, but you should have a hard time finding it. you can always call the doc as well.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 1:11 AM on Nov. 15, 2010