What to do...

I have a 16 year old daughter who feels I'm treating her like a 13 year old and that I don't trust her because I insist on meeting the friends she goes out with especially if it's someone that's going to drive her somewhere. I heard my parents voices coming out of my mouth when I explained to her that it's not her I don't trust, it's the rest of the world and she said, "you didn't treat Jimmy like that"...saints above please forgive me but again, I got a parent flashback when I told her "it's different for boys than it is for girls, I know it sounds sexists but it is." What's your take on this?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• It's totally different for boys than it is for girls- it sucks for us girls but that's just the way it is. It sounds like your doing a great job, stop second guessing yourself!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i think your doing great and keep it up
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:13 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• well my take on it is i treat my sons the same as i treat my daughter lol. it's not different for boys than it is for girls. i expect to meet all of their friends and they will be telling me where they're going and when they'll be back. i don't see why you wouldn't do that for your son as well.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Well, princessbeth79 at this point my son is 22...it's a little late and besides, my son was more into computers and watching movies with me, etc. He also went to a very tight knit private school and everyone knew everyone else that everyone was hanging out with. My daughter on the other hand goes to a public school that has over 4,000 students and she's a good kid but she's more the outgoing boycrazy type.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Comment by ShouldHaveLeft (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i dont think its different boys then girls at all. your son can still die in a car accident, just like your daughter.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• In my house rules are not based off their age or gender, but off of each individual child. My older 4 are only a few years apart in age and while I might let one do one thing I may not let the other or if I let the other there are more rules applied to them and that's because they are each at a different level of maturity, even the 2 that are the same age. May not seem fair, and as a teen I would be a litte peeved myself, but I parent according to each child not their age.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2010