nuresing to sleep

I breastfeed and i have only breastfed. She will not even take a binky. I have alway nuresed her to sleep but at 7 months it is getting old. Any tips??

Katy1213

Asked by Katy1213 at 9:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try to nurse and keep her awake and lay her down awake
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I still breastfeed my 11 1/2 month old to sleep every night and every nap, so I have no useful advice, all I can say is to enjoy this time while you have it because it is so fleeting.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:28 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Switch to the bottle. If she knows that she's not getting the boob she'll soon swithc over. I wouldn't just shock her with it. Start with a bottle during nap time during the day for about 3-4 days then add it to one of the nights. She's going to cry but she'll get the point soon. Ofcourse using your breast milk will be easier for her to switch. Squirt a little in her mouth before you put the bottle fully in her mouth.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Going to start using the bottle with your breast milk, pump it in, then whens shes hungry she dont want the bottle , squeeze the nipple of the bottle on her mouth dribble little milk for her to taste she should be like oh ok , try that a few times she should stick with it, then from that when she gets older depending on how long you plan to breastfeed , start using sippy cups
    THANKGOD4MOMS

Answer by THANKGOD4MOMS at 9:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If you want her to fall asleep on her own, wake her up before putting her down. Talk to her or something. Or is your concern you want to stop BF? If that is the case do a gradual progress. And is your hubby around to give her a bottle of breast milk? If so, start this during the day and when she is accepting it, have dad do it at nap for a time then bedtime. However you can't be any where around, as she will refuse the bottle knowing you are close by to pop the boob out.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I nursed all of mine (3) to sleep, eventually the nursing will get less and then I switched to the books and a lullaby. Do the same routine over and over. It can take 2 weeks for her to accept the change. You can also nurse her early when she is not sleepy and then have someone else (husband, grandma) put her to bed later and start with a routine. Then when she is used to the routine you can step in again. Under no circumstance switch to the bottle, she is almost ready for a sippy cup, don't ruin it. Actually my last one took a sippy cup at 6 months.
    asulimma

Answer by asulimma at 9:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i've just recently been able to get my 13 month old daughter to start going to sleep on her own. I have not stopped nursing her at all. it started with her actions though...she started getting really fidgety when i'd nurse her at bedtime. so i finally just put her in bed cause i was frustrated. and she cried for 5 min (yes, i know, some people don't believe in CIO, but it can work for some)

So now i put her jammies on and nurse her earlier, so i know she isn't quite as tired or ready for bed. sometimes she'll play a little longer after her last feeding, but then when i put her down i play the same music for her every night and she goes to sleep pretty well. it's taken about a week to get used to.

stykir

Answer by stykir at 10:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I've got no tips, as the ONLY time my 3 year old nurses is to sleep. He'll go to sleep in the car, with my mom, with DH (sometimes if he's REALLY tired, and REALLY late and I"m not home) but when I"m there, it's boob, or up all night LOL. Doesn't bother me, but I can see how it can! Hope you find something that works. I think Jack Newman has an article on his site somewhere about this topic. Maybe check it out.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2010