How many people feel they got screwed by Sallie May through a quick money making school?

My husband went to school through PC Pro School and now feel they along with Sallie Mae had a partnership to screw with people!

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 9:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• My husband went to a supposed quick graduate school that is supposed to be so family and work friendly that anyone can do it. And sure if your willing to either not work or sacrifice your family time that's true. We now owe about 60 thousand between the student loans and the school and guess what NO DEGREE! Grrrr....... And come to find out they lied to him when he was checking into it. Their supposed "job placement" program is really just a bunch of "practice" interviews after you graduate. And the credits don't transfer ANYWHERE so if we want to have him get his degree anytime soon we have to suck it up and have him go back. I say screw them but unfortunately my DH doesn't want to have to start all over which I can understand. However I learned early "screw my once shame on you screw me twice shame on me".
    I tell you what tho I will NEVER advice anyone to go to a school that is not either a regular college (or community).
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It's not Sallie Mae's fault, it's yours. What I mean is, if you are spending money to go to school, you should make sure that you are going to get out of it what you expected (a degree, opportunity to get a skilled job, etc.) As long as the school is accredited, Sallie Mae is there to help you get the money you need for school. They are not the BBB, they in no way "endorse" any school or program. Sallie Mae is a great program, but all they are is a funding agency. They make it easy to apply/receive loans so people can get a higher education.

I'm sorry that you got taken, there are a lot of schools out there that offer degrees or programs that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. It is up to you (all of us, really) to investigate schools thoroughly before spending any money. Your best bet is always a local college, many of them offer online courses in addition to their traditional programs.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:17 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It wasn't Sallie Mae's fault, I signed up for the loan. But they sure make it easy to do. I went to University of Phoenix for six weeks. I came out with $3000 in student loans. Yuck! The worst part of it is that I forgot I even had the student loans until nearly two years later. Well that's not entirely true. I thought I had paid University of Phoenix back... which I had done, I just thought that was to pay back the student loans. It was really just to pay off university of Phoenix. Hope that makes sense.

Anyway community college are way cheaper. But it is really up to us to know what we are signing up for when we take out student loans.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 12:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The mortgage companies are partially at fault, but so are homeowners who felt they could live beyond their means.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2010