Starting a nursing baby on bottle!?

I'm still pregnant, but I was wondering what you all would do when it comes to introducing the bottle to baby? How long should I just strictly Nurse for? When do I start introducing the bottle? Also, What brand of bottle do I buy to use that has a slow enough of a flow that wont make baby prefer the bottle over my nipple!? I only want baby using the bottle when I'm not around, otherwise I want to be strictly nursing him!??

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once there's a tooth it's over lol. Both my kids took straight to the bottle no problem. I started using nipple shields because it's like a bottle nipple you just put it over your nipple and it helps not hurt so bad as well. good luck!
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 10:27 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• no bottles or paci for the first 6 wks if possible.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:39 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• i started my baby on a breastflow bottle fromn the first years at 6 weeks...it is just like drinking from the breast and they transition between breast and bottle very well.i didn't leave her often so there was long strteches of time between bottle feedings and she still took to them well i got them from walmart online and they were not too expensive.she only used a bottle maybe 4 times at 4 months we went straight to using a sippy cup. i am still breastfeeding and using nipple shields because i have very inverted nipples. a nipple shieldwon't help with transitionng to a bottle because babies use completely different muscles to breastfeed( nipple shield or not) then to drink from a bottle
    ericswifey247

Answer by ericswifey247 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If you work, then wait at least 6 weeks to introduce the bottle.

If you aren't returning to work, you may not ever actually need to use a bottle. My DD just chews on her bottle. We have a sippy cup for her that she started using at 4 months. I don't leave her often.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• we waited until the 7th week to intro a bottle. I use the platex natural latch slow flow nipples drop in bottles. It's worked with both my kids. I don't work and breastfeed, but sometimes momma needs to get out!
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 11:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2010