Newborn Won't Latch on-suggestions PLEASE

My niece has a newborn baby girl, she is frantic trying to get her to latch on. In the hospital they started her with a tube next to the nipple, and now the baby won't suck at all. She's losing weight and the milk is in-she just won't latch on.

MamaAlice54

Asked by MamaAlice54 at 10:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• One of my twin boys refused to latch. It took us awhile but he finally did latch. A few things that helped:
    -Skin to skin. Mom with no bra and no shirt, baby in just a diaper. Put baby on mama's chest
    -Does she have a pump? Pump to get letdown going and then try to latch
    -Breast compressions

Also, make sure that she tries to nurse at the first signs of hunger ie. rooting, eating fists. If she waits until baby is crying, which is a late sign of hunger, baby could get frustrated and make it harder to latch.

MamaCeleste0722

Answer by MamaCeleste0722 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Has she tried using a breast shield? That same thing happened to me with one of my sons and the LCs never told me about the breast shields. I had received one in a basket gift at my shower and I didn't even know what it was. One night as me and my DS were crying b/c he was starving my hubby said, please try this thing and low and behold he took to it. I know some people are going to say that using a breast shield is not good, but it was the only way my son would latch. I was never able to go without it. I have found out that some people are able to eventually wean the baby off of them. They are like five bucks at target or babies r us. They're made by medela. Can you go get her one right now and drop it off for her to try?
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If the baby has had a SNS tube on the boob, she is probably used to the milk coming right out. Sometimes, if you squeeze a little drop of milk up onto the nipple and then offer, the baby figures out what tis going on and latches to the milk drop.

It also might help to pump to pull the nipple out and make it morer firm.

You can spoon or dropper feed until some help can arrive. Encourage her not to give up. She and the baby can learn this.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son had a hard time too. I "splurged" and made an appointment with a local lactation specialist. She spent an hour with me, one on one, taught me how to do it, had me do it several times, and told me to call her if there were any problems after we got home. It was definitely worth the $30.

However, in the more immediate future, it sounds like your LO isn't getting enough to eat and may become too tired and hungry to even try. If she won't latch at all, try a bottle, try a dropper and give her a few drops (enough for her to easily swallow, but not choke), and keep working at the latch. Good luck!
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 10:58 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• contact la leche league. tomorrow, also see if she can get in touch with a lactation consultant. you tube has lots of videos that shows how to latch baby on. and maybe try a breast chiled. i also suggest she express her milk and feeds her baby thru a dropper or syringe.(thats what i did for a week with ds)
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My best suggestion would be to make an appt with a lactation consultent. Thats what helped me out BIG time!
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 11:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• She needs to see an IBCLC right away. Or speak to and see an LLL leader. She needs hands on help, and she needs to know that it's not too late, nursing CAN be established. It's just easier for someone to physically help.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Thank you everybody for your answers! I was talking to my sister, and she was crying and I was crying, because my niece was so brokenhearted, she want to nurse so badly! I told my sister "I am going on CafeMom, someone will have the answer, I just know it!
    You guys didn't let me down! She is calling LaLeche tomorrow, she has had an LC, and she has tried the breast shield, I feel so sorry for her, I know her pain!
    MamaAlice54

Comment by MamaAlice54 (original poster) at 11:29 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• "she has had an LC"

Make sure it's an IBCLC.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Tell her to try to get the baby to open her mouth really wide and then express a few drops of milk into the baby's mouth (she might need an extra set of hands to help her hold the baby). Breast shields work for some, but she definitely needs an LC asap. Also, she can express some milk into a bottle and dropper feed for now, or even give the bottle. There is nothing wrong with giving a bottle if the baby won't nurse, and she doesn't have to keep giving the bottles. Definitely try expressing a little milk into the baby's mouth though, it should make the baby realize that there is food in there.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2010