Bowlegged?

I know a lot of babies look bowlegged, but I'm a new mom and I still worry. My 4 month old loves to stand up. Granted, we're always holding him on our laps, but I've heard that if they try to stand up too early without sufficient support they can end up bowlegged or with other orthopedic problems. Is it okay for him to be standing with hands under his arms? Or should I just have him sit more often?

Reenieredhead

Asked by Reenieredhead at 11:04 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i wouldnt worry, ive never heard of that. the only way that i know of babies being bowlegged is from the whomb, my newphew was severely bowlegged for a few years, but he grew and is fine now.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• My son was doing that from the time he was 2 months old. I have pictures of him in a walker at 4 months old with pillows everywhere to support him. My mother in law told me I was going to make him bow legged. It is a old MYTH. My son is 17 years old now and he is not bowlegged.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 12:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2010