the rest of my story of my ingrown toe nail

the liquid just bubbled and stinged but then time has passed and my toe was getting worse...so I went to my doctor and he put needles in my toe and removed the ingrown n then gave me some meds...now by toe been hurting alot and it gets red and the ingrown came back...I'm just worried cuz now its on my toe that is next to my big toe...I know I should go back to the doctor but i'm just scared cuz those needles goes straight to your bone n it hurts like hell...I just dont want to go to pain again...what should I do? have you ever had this before or gone threw it?

Espinosa

Asked by Espinosa at 11:36 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Health

• I know that it hurts, but you need to go back in, and have it taken care of. If it's infected, it can cause a serious problem! Just ask them to give you something for pain before they do it. 

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• And I so thought this was going to a nice, relaxing bedtime story! LOL!

Yes,I had one ingrown toe nail cut out years ago, but I watched them do it, so I can usually get it cut out on my own now. I would suggest you go back again, be brave.. and get it cut out. Then ask him to show you how to cut your toe nails to prevent this from happening again.

I'm sorry.. I know it hurts.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• The inflammation/infection has to be cleared before the removal can happen because that type of tissue does not hold local anesthetic very well. The needle should not go all the way down to the bone. It may feel like it, but when I used to do ingrown toenail removal back in my corpsman days, we either did a nerve block or numbed the site of removal and then under the nailbed itself. It's a 25 gauge needle so it's small. You should not feel any pain at all after the local kicks in. There is pain afterwards, but the doctors always prescribed motrin and codeine or vicodin.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:59 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• To Izarejman- the doctor cleaned my toe before starting the procedure but when the needle went in he touched the bone and it hurted so bad...He poked me 5 times in different spots of my toe and then I didnt feel nothing...I couldnt move my toe nail cuz it was numb..I'm just concerned of the pain and needles going all the way in...its been a year that past when I done the procedure and now it gotten worse...its the same big toe and now its the toe next to it....=(
    Espinosa

Comment by Espinosa (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Ouch..I hope you get better, but seriously, the needle should never hit bone. It's a horribly painful procedure and it gave me the willies to have to do it on someone. When my husband picks at his ingrown toenails and digs them out, I flinch because I cannot stand to look at it. Ingrown toenails are no joke. It's like having a bad dental procedure. Once you know what to expect, you aren't going to want to go through it again. Hopefully you get it fixed and it's the last time that happens to you.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Go in and get it taken care of so you don't get sick.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2010