So if you use canvas shopping bags instead of plastic (or paper), do you buy plastic liners for your small trash cans?

I've often think it's a good idea to use the canvas bags, but then I realize I would have to buy trash bags and that would be totally counterproductive! I always use the plastic grocery bags to line my small trash cans.

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 11:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• why use liners at all? garbage cans are plastic you can wash them, plus, if you have a garbage disposil a lot of your food can go down the drain instead of the trash so,

just a thought
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 11:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Since I started using the canvas bags for my shopping needs I havent used any liners for my small trash cans. I did however buy ones with lids on them.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 11:43 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I forget my bags sometimes, so I still don't buy trashbags. I use canvas about 75%, which is less than I'd prefer, but I guess it balances out with the bags for trash and stuff. I line mine because I have nowhere to rinse my cans and we don't have a garbage disposal.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:50 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• I thought the same thing! I don't like to leave my trashcans without some sort of a liner, because they can get nasty without them.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:52 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• ive always bought trash bags for my bathroom trash can. its a wicker made one and it wouldn't be so pretty for me to not use one. i use my grocery bags to take my lunch to work in.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 12:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I still end up with plastic shopping bags because I will either be in the car that doesn't have any shopping bags OR will have more groceries than I have "canvas" bags for.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:32 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If I run out of plastic shopping bags then I don't use my reusable bags once or twice at the grocery store. I do have some small trash bags, though just in case.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• No, I don't buy bags for my smaller trash cans; I just empty them all into the bigger kitchen garbage can when I'm ready to put the garbage out. All of our trash cans are washable, so it's not a big deal.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would just not worry about the bags in the trash cans and just try and disinfect the can when you change it.
    butterflymama23

Answer by butterflymama23 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• AH waste not want not. I use the shopping bags and I buy the larger trash bags. I don't have to wash the cans (plastic) very often which wastes water & my time. The trash collectors don't like it when the trash is loose. I think the stores should give us the cloth bags. All the ones I have were free.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2010