natural induction??

just trying to get some ideas. I think I've heard a lot of them..
nipple stimulation
sex
eating spicy food?
I will not!!! use castor oil!!
thanks ladies:)

young-not-dumb

Asked by young-not-dumb at 11:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• pineapple actually made my contractions stronger...but i would have to eat them all the time. I would have strong contractions for about 2 hours and then they would go away lol.
    lovingedward

Answer by lovingedward at 11:47 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Squats worked for me.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 11:49 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• If you want to induce, it's not natural.

And if your body isn't ready, nothing will work.

Walking and sex are the safest and most likely to help if your body is ready.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• Curious why nipple stimulation is okay if castor oil is not.
    Are you wondering about the whole list of options overall or considering certain risks?
    Are you facing a medical induction/health complications?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2010

• castor oil can possibly make your baby have a bowel movement inside... why would i want to risk that? on top of that getting sick myself? If there are any negative side effects to nipple stimulation, please let me know.
    I was induced with my second daughter and would much rather avoid getting pitocin..
    like i said, just looking for ideas :)
    young-not-dumb

Comment by young-not-dumb (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Is there a reason for an induction?
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• From my own experiences with NS, I am aware of risks and would suggest that moms avoid it if possible. But also avoid anything unnecessary because there is an important reason why Mom is still pregnant.
    If baby & body were *truly * ready for labor then Mom would be in labor/delivering (instead of still pregnant).
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• "Nipple stimulation causes the release of oxytocin, the same hormone that causes uterine contractions. Many women report, however, that the contractions produced from this method are much stronger and more painful than natural labor, but are not any more effective. Please note: In order to use this method for induction, you must stimulate the nipples for long periods of time. The usual recommendation is 15 minutes of continual stimulation on each nipple each hour for several hours. So, the amount of stimulation you may experience during intimacy, while nursing an older child, or while pumping your breasts while pregnant will not cause you to go into labor. The general recommendation on these activities is to abstain from them when your condition warrants doctor recommended pelvic rest. Please check with your practitioner before trying this."
    doulala

• Many women report, however, that the contractions produced from this method are much stronger and more painful than natural labor, but are not any more effective

I fail to see how these women know contractions are stronger and more painful from NS. Oxytocin is the NATURAL labor hormone people. YOUR own body makes it. It IS NATURAL LABOR. FYI Oxytocin also causes milk production so you can feed that baby when it's born. Pitocin is a synthetic version of oxytocin, so yes it will cause labor if the body is ready and yes it will be painful. At any rate nothing you do will work unless your body is ready. Be patient.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I understand that point, but it is not "natural" when it's forced unnaturally.
    It can be compared to synthetic oxytocin because it's forcing too much-too hard, it's too intense. That is abnormal for the uterus and fetus.

"Nipple stimulation can have very strong effects, similar to the overuse of Pitocin (synthetic oxytocin). For this reason various experts have given recommendations on its use. "
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2010