Questions for a Cosmotologist

I am thinking of going to cosmotology school this January. My problem is, I can't even fade my husbands hair. I have no idea how to do anything. Does it require a little bit of general talent, or can they teach me everything I need to know. I really enjoy doing hair, nails, makeup, etc, but I just need to know if I have NO natural ability if I can still prevail in this profession. I mean, if you stink at scientist you don't become an astronout, right? Any input would be great.

navy-wife

Asked by navy-wife at 2:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Its better if you have a little bit of natural talent but yes they teach you everything you need to know. You'll just need to practice extra hard once you're taught how to do something.
    katyameliasmom

Answer by katyameliasmom at 2:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If you enjoy it as much as you say you do then I think you should go for it. I was a cosmetologist for 15 years and I didn't start out knowing how to do everything. That is what schoo is for. If y ou have a love for it you will be fine. Besides, I went to school for cosmetology and to tell you the truth, I learned more when I started working in a salon. The school just gives you the basics and experience gives you the rest.
    Su-Z-Q

Answer by Su-Z-Q at 2:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I have been a stylist (cosmo.) for 13 years, and the school I went to really sucked, but I still excelled and past the state bar, at our school it was everything basic, and fades and such were taught in the barber college, but at a salon i worked they trained to do fades and clipper cuts.
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 3:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You would be just fine at it. You would probably find out that you like something in the profession more than some others and then you can focus on that. Just I love to do barbering. I can't do a great flatop and I don't really like doing women's hair. you don't find these things out until you go to school for it, So I say go for it!!
    momofthree808

Answer by momofthree808 at 5:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• No talent nessesary! if you enjoy doing it go for it! they will teach you everything you need to know, although having creative mind is a nice touch if you planing to do creative cutting and styling:)
    I've graduated in 2004, working in the industry ever since! I specialize in weddings fo creativity is the must!
    Good Luck!
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 9:50 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I am not a cosmetologist but I think you might be being a little hard on yourself. Is it reasonable to expect a first grader to solve a calculus problem? No. They have not had any training to do so. If you are passionate about cosmetology you should go for it. If you STILL can't do it AFTER proper training and practice THEN and ONLY then would I rethink a career in cosmetology ;p Good luck and let us know what yuo decide!
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:58 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Go for it! All u need is passion for it!
    I used to suck at it too, but I learned sooo much!
    Lots of luck hunn<3
    Nellie1986

Answer by Nellie1986 at 7:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Thanks! I'm doing it!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:36 AM on Nov. 4, 2008