my son is 13 months and he hits me i have told him no but that does not work any sugestions im a first time mom please help

aidensmama4life

Asked by aidensmama4life at 2:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is a tough age and alot depends on his "maturity" level. For example my 13 mth old is INCAPABLE of understanding the word no. My SIL however was putting her 8 mth old in time outs so to a certain extent it just depends. If it were me I would take his hands and put them by his side, tell him NO in a very firm voice and make sure to have a look of disappointment on my face. The other thing would be if you are holding him....sit him down. Just don't give any positive reinforcement. But the best thing would be to change the situation. Find him a toy to play with, distract him in some way. GL Boys are fun! LOL
    karebearintx

Answer by karebearintx at 2:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• my son was also doing this at 13 months hes now 16mnths and slips from time to time but not to often...what i did is tapped his hand and say thats bad monster which must have worked because he doesnt do it anymore..but its all about how you handle the situation being a first time mom myself iv realized the more energy you give him to something you dont want him to do the more hes going to do it...GL...
    justinsmommie09

Answer by justinsmommie09 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• my son is 2 and still trys to hit... but i grab both his hands and tell him no... he will try to hit me with his hard lil head but i back away and still tell him no in a calm voice until he calmed down and then i say thank you and give him a hug.... we are trying not to hit or son in anyway....
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 4:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• In my experience, a good swift pop on the diaper will get his attention, along with a very firm "NO - don't hit!" If this does not deter him, put him down EVERY time he hits. If you are home, remove him to his playpen or sit him in a chair. Kids understand disapproval MUCH younger than most give them credit for. Be sure to encourage his GOOD behavior, but make it just as clear that you will NOT tolerate hitting.
    jjandjsmomma

Answer by jjandjsmomma at 4:21 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Justinsmommy, that's cute! "Bad Monster", lol!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My DD was doing this A LOT to me, and only sometimes to DH. What we started doing was gasping as soon as she did it, as if it was just such a shock that she would do such a thing! Then grab the hand she did it with, give it a good firm tap, and tell her "NO! You do NOT slap EVER! Mommy doesn't slap you in the face!" or something to that effect. I've been told hitting for hitting is hypocritical and I can see that, but I don't hit her where she hit me, as hard as she hit me, etc... What really seemed to get her attention was ignoring her after the fact- if she was sitting on me, I would put her down and tell her she hurt my feelings and then would ignore her for 2-3 minutes. She REALLY didn't like that AT ALL. EVERY TIME- Let him know it upset you so much that you need a few minutes... They don't like it one bit!!! GL
    mommy2danica

Answer by mommy2danica at 5:37 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• my daughter does this sometimes and she is also 13 months old. i tapped her hands and said NO with a mean mommy look. eventually she stopped. she still does it every now and then though. def. not as much. thank goodness.
    now i usually just have to say NO and she gets it with everything. =D you just have to stick to your word, dont let him slip sometimes. keep on him with NO and he should get it.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 6:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2008