Where are your morals and values stored?

Show on Discovery Health tonight about a woman with multiple personalities. One of them is the sexual one, who does things the woman (as her main real-self personality) says go against her morals and values. Even if she can't control these personalities or even monitor what they do, they are still all really her. They are all in her brain. Is her alternate personality (she has 15 total) looking at porn or talking to men online really "against her morals and values" or simply channeling a part of her psyche that she represses and doesn't acknowledge as part of her morals and values? If she REALLY didn't agree with that behavior, would she have created a personality to handle it for her?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:39 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Interesting thought. IMO, we all face temptations, but the rational, "normal" part of us tends to control our reactions. Every person has values and morals because they choose to. That doesn't mean a part of us isn't tempted to do something that doesn't jive with what we believe is right. But we choose to live according to our value set. In a person with multiple personality disorder, the other personalities don't use full brain function (from what I understand), and the center for moral reasoning can be ignored by them. So I would say that this woman really, honestly does have morals and standards, that, when she is in control of herself, she follows. Her split personality is able to ignore the logical, reasonable part of the brain, and therefore, falls prey to things that really aren't something that woman would normally do.
    Reenieredhead

Answer by Reenieredhead at 12:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Fascinating. I remember watching "Sybil" the miniseries on TV a long time ago and then I bought the book and read it.Amazing how she was like different people mentally AND physically. But it was due to the mental torture inflicted on her by her Mother.It was horrible.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I saw that same episode and couldn't believe it. This portly woman with short brown hair had 15 different personalities. One was a little boy who could throw free-throws backwards! I'm not educated in this field, but I think that she fabricated these people to help her cope with her inadequacies. I'm not suggesting that they aren't real to her, but everything is their fault or because of them. About the porn and sex; I was raised Christian, but I still partake in things that are against my morals. Hell, before I got pregnant I used to look at unwed mothers as irresponsible and a burden on the economy. Now I am one ( not irresponsible, just unlucky with birth control).
    This lady was a teacher, but very shy, so she invented a teacher type person that taught her how to be more assertive. She invents people because she can't handle the hurdles life throws at her. Some are suicidal, some are homicidal, she is schizophrenic
    GracieBabysMom

Answer by GracieBabysMom at 12:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Defintely food for thought. Mental illness is a legitimate justification for crimes, although we all know not all who claim this are trully mentally ill. Mental illness can push a person to do things they wouldn't do otherwise.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 6:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• That's a really interesting idea. What makes the most sense to me is if someone has inner urges, whether they be moral or not, and they suppress them, and suppress them, and suppress them, something somewhere is going to crack to create an outlet.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 8:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Interesting... I've read into the case of Trudy Chase, author of When Rabbit Howls, who had at least 12 distinct personalities.

What psychiatrists have come to understand is that this disorder comes from severe long-term abuse at a young age, and the children are generally very intelligent. It is a coping mechanism on dealing with the abuse, so the child is can 'switch' brains depending on the stress and situation.

I imagine trying to figure out how to figure out how the personalities are so different is a muddled mess since they have the exact same upbringing but respond so differently. I would think that, even tho a personality can disregard certain values, just like a brother wouldn't share the same as his siblings.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:16 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• MPD is very complicated and can be looked at from many different angles. After studying a different personality disorder thoroughly, I have come to the conclusion that all personality disorders come from some form of abuse or neglect. I believe they are all inflated defense mechanisms. I think this lady does have morals and that it's not some repressed desires coming forth. From a religious POV, many believe that the other personalities are demons. In either case, the person needs help from experienced professionals who have been trained specifically in this area.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:32 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Dissociative Identity Disorder (multiple personalities) isn't quite that simple... The different personalities are often completely unaware of one another, completely separate and independent. I don't remember enough from my AP Psychology course, but I do believe that at least the one personality is strongly morally opposed to such behaviors, and if that personality is the main personality, I would go as far as to presume that she really is opposed to them, and completely unawares of the other personality, which may or may not just be a psychological imbalance or other issue that needs to be professionally addressed...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't think you have a very good understanding of D.I.D. You don't consciously create personalities, you don't get to decide who they are or what they are like. They are PHYSICALLY her, but they are not HER... Mentally they have completely different personalities, beliefs morals and in some cases even physical aspects have been known to slightly alter. Persons with DID do not have shared memories or anything else between the different personalities. It's literally like having 2, 3... 8... Different people, just all in one body. Are your morals and beliefs and whatnot all mental aspects? Yes, but in cases where a person has DID, those aspects alter just like everything else does when personalities switch.

Generally what happens is the brain creates these multiples as a way to cope with some kind of trauma - Usually abuse. But as of right now we don't have a 100% clear understanding of DID.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010