How do I make more breastmilk? Is there a way to increase it?

I heard by drinking lots of water and sometimes caffine can help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Caffeine is not good for the baby so that shouldn't be an option. Pumping after the baby nursed worked for me. Some times if you pump some and then nurse your baby it gives that demand for more milk as well. There is also a natural tea called mothers milk at most health food stores that worked great for me after a bout of dehydration.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I disagree with the caffiene because your baby is gonna be getting that, and it's unhealthy.

But the best way to increase your milk supply is to increase the amount you feed and/ or pump. So if you want to store some in the freezer, begin to pump while baby is sleeping everyday at the same time. At first, you may not get much but your body will make more the next day because it will see your baby is drinking more and growing, therefore produce more. Good luck.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 12:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Drink water like crazy and pump after baby is done feeding. There are some herbs you can take too but you have to ask the dr which ones for safety. One of them made my pee smell like maple syrup. TMI sorry. You can get a Rx too but I don't suggest it because the side effects are very serious.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Oatmeal can help and that includes oatmeal cookies. Why do you think you aren't producing enough?
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• first of all let me ask you a question, what makes you think your supply is low?
    how are diapers?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Diapers at first were not wet enough, and my baby wanted more, more. I could not keep up with how much she wanted to eat she would eat then 20 mins want more and I wasn't getting anything out right away. She also didn't gain weight from just strictly breastfeeding for 3 weeks after she was born.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2010