circumcision

Do you know how much circumcision costs? I may not have insurance at that time to cover it.
Also is it done at the hospital? Is it cheaper to be done by a private dr?

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 2:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son had his circumcision when he was 7 days old the ped explained to me at that young an age they dont have much feeling in that area so its better to have it done around that time...you should qualify for medicaid...most hospitals do it but some dont i have to have my sons done in the ob office...and it was free under medicaid .........and to reply to anonymous they should be circumcised even if not jewish becuse it greatly reduces the risk of any infections that can be cought up in the forskin
    justinsmommie09

Answer by justinsmommie09 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Some hospitals have it done right there as soon as the child is born.. Some do not. I'm not sure how much it costs but most pedi's do it right in their office if it's something your thinking about now after he was born. Check with most places. I waited until my son was 9months old to be put under to have the procedure done so he had more than just a local pain killer.
    TwinKleOut

Answer by TwinKleOut at 2:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You should qualify for medicaid if you don't have insurance when your baby is born. In GA, the medicaid pays for circumcision. Some states it doesn't but, it does not usually cost more than 300 dollars.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• are you jewish? because if you're not your son doesn't need a circumcision. why fix what god created? your daughter wouldn't get a female circumsion does she?
    Anonymous

• My ob doc asked me about it way before my son was born , and I agreed. I was under the understanding that I would have to pay an additional copay (because it is a surgical procedure) however, I didn't. It was done, and I never saw a bill for it. I had an elective c-section with a 4 day stay and circumcision and the grand total was 12K.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• We had our son circumcised when he was 2 weeks old at his Ped's office. They only charged us $200 for the entire procedure. The hospital he was born at no longer offers the circumcision as it is not considered a "needed" procedure, and more of a cosmedic request.
    cincodemayomom

Answer by cincodemayomom at 2:31 AM on Nov. 4, 2008