would be easy for my exbf to get custody if he were to call?

Right now I am living with my SO and his parents, siblings, and nephew. My SO and I and our two kids (one is to my ex) are all living in the same small bedroom. We have been living here for a few months. My ex has his house and my son has his own bedroom there. If my ex were to take me to court to try and get full custody, do you think he would have a good chance?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• We're actually about to be in the same situation with hubby's kids. And YES, he would have the upper hand in the situation.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 1:05 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Not necessarily. There are a lot of factors they would consider. The fact you two were never married can be a huge one. In my state if you were never married it's very very hard for the father to have custody of the children. They would most definitely consider it. But the fact you happen to have a crappy living situation right now does not mean they will take the kids away and give him custody. ALSO they like to keep siblings together!
    LittleMissMe

Answer by LittleMissMe at 2:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Only if the judge looked at housing size but they look at so much more that makes up the best situation for the child. History of the parents and even future plans.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Do you also work???? Is there a reason why you don't have your own place & the kids do not have their own rooms??? Need more info, Mama!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:03 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Don't let him use your situation as a tool to threaten you. First of all he was just a boyfriend, when a child is born out of wedlock the child automatically belongs to the mother. you were never married there is not alot he can do except pay child support and quite frankly you don't even have to allow him visits until it is in writting
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 9:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It is in writing, he gets visitations, and he pays his child support every week. i'm a little frightened because my child is almost 8 years old and in my care has to live with me and my so and my newborn baby all in the same small bedroom of my so's parent's house. and there is about 15 other people living in this house, and it couldn't possibilty accomodate anymore people. i don't want my child taken away from me, and i'm a little scared.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2010