What should I do?

We just moved into a new apartment where we have to pay for the garbage service ourselves. I called the company and they brought us the can. Our neighbors keep using our can and even put ours out by the curb tonight for pickup in the morning. I think they thought it was theirs.They are gonna be pissed when ours gets emptied and theirs is still sitting behind the building, full. Its just rather annoying to be paying to have it picked up and its always overflowing with their trash. I can't even put half the stuff in there that I would like to because every time I go out there there is another one of their big black trash bags in there. I am tempted to start taking it back out and putting it on their porch.

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 1:03 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Since you just moved in, I think it is pretty obvious that the other people know it isn't their can & they are either being super lazy about not wanting to walk around back to their can or they don't want to pay for trash pick up and are hoping you won't say anything about it. If you know you have to pay for your own garbage pick up, you can bet they know it too, so they would have to know why the new garbage can suddenly showed up. If you are allowed, put your apartment # on the can & a lock. I would also say something to the other teants regarding them filling up your garbage can AND send a letter to the landlord letting them know what you said to the other tenants about them using your garbage can. I would also ask the landlord if there is a designated area to keep your can. This way you've got all your bases covered should the other tenant decide to be troublesome.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Would you feel uncomfortable knocking on the door and letting them know? I mean, you said their trash bin is sitting behind the building full, do you know that one is theirs for sure? If you don't feel comfortable with that (I honestly don't know if I would even be) they maybe try calling the landlord/office and see what they can do for you.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Oh how rude of your neighbors!!!! I would so be putting it on their porch!!! And if that didn't do the trick I would be EMPTYING it on their lawn!!!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• They live in the next apartment over so maybe I should just call the landlord. To be 100% honest I think they are just to high to realize whet is going on. Lol.
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• When I used to have a city garbage can we had a spot on the top, like a handle, and one on the front (handle as well). I don't know if yours are like that as well. Maybe you can get one of those bicycle locks and lock it closed for a while. Maybe even put a note on the top saying, "Your can is in the back, FULL. Go annoy someone else." :) Until they start using theirs again. Or maybe you can even bring theirs to the front one night and once it's emptied, put it in the spot where yours is. Then they will start using theirs again.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 1:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't know for sure that theirs is full. We just had no where else to put ours so it got put on the right side of the building where their apartment is. Its not really close to their door but its close enough that they would rather use it instead of walking around the building to use their own.
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 1:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• No, I mean, are you sure they actually have a bin and they aren't just not paying for the service and using your bin? That would make me really mad. If they are just lazy and have a bin but won't use it, I would probably just try and talk to them and tell them nicely or call the landlord.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• They have one. There are three apartments in this building and one is empty, so its just us and them. We have our can and theirs has been behind the building since we moved in a few weeks ago but since we live in the front I didn't think it was right to put ours back there as well because it is a parking space for the empty apartment I put it to the side of the building, as out of site as it can be.
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Come to think of it, maybe they didn't pay their bill and so their can stopped getting emptied.
    mommytoJames512

Comment by mommytoJames512 (original poster) at 1:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Put a simple lock on your can AND mark it with your apartment number on it (Sharpie).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2010