Do you believe that mental illness like bipolar disorder is a real and treatable condition?

Or do you think that the person can just snap out of it without the help of medications and therapy? I have known I was bipolar since I was 13, so for 20 yrs now I have been in treatment and you would be surprised at the ignorance and lack of knowledge of some people on the subject of mental illness. I mean you would take meds to help fight cancer or diabetes, wouldn't you? It is no different having to take drugs to help with the mood swings and depression that goes along with being bipolar.

dizzy77702

Asked by dizzy77702 at 1:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Health

• Absolutely it is real and I think for the most part it is treatable. But I think there are some people who need more then medication and therapy.
    ILoveCade

Answer by ILoveCade at 1:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It is very real and yes for the most part treatable. My husband has it. ( as does my step dad.) I agree with you about the ignorance too. Some of my husbands own family thinks its just an excuse to let him do or say anything he wants. It is very hard to live with and deal with. Some people will never understand. Feel free to send me a message any time you need to talk or just vent. I'm here to listen anytime.
    the.lilangel

Answer by the.lilangel at 1:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• So true, of course its real and alot of people can be treated with out meds too but educating people on Bipolar and other such issues is a big part of helping those with it. It's not an excuse, I'm sure for some people it would be easier to think the person they know isn't having real problems but it shouldn't ever be ignored or brushed off.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 2:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I'm a non-medicated BiPolar type 2... Yes, it CAN be treated and handled without medical intervention, however I believe there are cases where it's not completely possible to go med free forever. I prefer natural options & diet over medications, but I also know my limits and when I need to seek further help. BPD can be very dangerous to both the person who has it and to those around them, and should never be ignored or placed in the "fictional" category... That kind of thing drives me right up a wall when I hear it. But unfortunately there is a great deal of misconception and propaganda surrounding mental illnesses of all kinds.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:39 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think that it is a real disorder that should NOT be ignored. Most people do need medication and/or therapy to deal with it.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Anyone who doesn't believe that Bi-Polar Disorder is real should try reading a hard science article with headphones on blasting heavy metal music and the television on full-blast and 12 kids all playing tag in the same room. That's what having Bi-Polar is like.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 6:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yeah I do.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I know people that have it and if they don't take there pills you know it.yeah I believe it
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yes, I do....
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010