Is it actually possible to get preggo after having your tubes tied?

My tubes will have been tied for 6 years Tuesday (11-16) and I have had people tell me that I needed to be careful because it is very possible for me to get preggo now, but I thought having your tubes tied were permanent. I mean I know of people that had children after having their tubes tied, but is it normal?

dirtyswifey10

Asked by dirtyswifey10 at 1:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have known of someone that has conceived after their tubes had been tied for about 10 years.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yep, I've actually known a few women it has happened to. In general, you're safe, but there is no 100% in traditional tubals. Unless your tubes were actually cut so that there is no possible way the egg can take the journey needed, it's always possible...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yes, it's totally possible. My friend was pregnant several months ago after having that procedure done. Unfortunately it did end in a miscarriage. GL
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 2:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Sometimes, biology finds a way. I had a couple conceive, where she'd had a tubal ligation, and he'd had a vasectomy. Nothing is 100% effective. The only surgical procedure that is 100%, I believe, is a hysterectomy (not recommended unless you have a good reason).
    Sabrina, they can still get through sometimes with the cut. It happens.
    That said, tubal ligation has a higher success rate than the pill, condoms, etc, everything except IUD. I think you'll be alright. Women getting pregnant post-TL are the exception, not the rule. Unless you have concerns about STDs, I wouldn't worry too much about a backup method.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I had my tubes tied several months ago. My dr told me there was like a .5% failure rate, so very unlikely for you to get pregnant. However, the hospital made me sign a form stating that I understood that having the tubal done was not a guarantee of sterility, so there is always that very small possibility.

Answer by missanc at 10:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i was told that after my tubal there was still a 0.01% chance I could get pregnant again. I was tied, cut, and burned closed. so it's not likely, but it can happen. I know a couple who got pregnant despite the fact that he had a vasectomy and she had a tubal done. So nature can find a way it is just a really rare occurance. Not "normal" for it to happen.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have my tubes tied, But I have heard of women tubes coming undone or tubal pregnancy.
    My been tied for 19 yrs so far I have not gotten pregnant
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• They now do bilateral tubal ligation. My doctor told me there is 1/ 2 a percent you could get preg, and it's more than likely not an intrauterine pregnancy. However the older way of doing the procedure isn't has reliable and has a different rate. They don't "tie" tubes any more. They burn them in half. My doctor told me 13 years of practice and he's only seen one pregnancy. It's not something that happens left and right though.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I am scared of getting preggo again. I had my tubes tied, DH had a vasectomy, and I still keep replacing my Mirena IUD. I tell the docs the Mirena is the only thing that controls my periods but I just really like the security of it being in there.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I knew a woman who was tied and so was her bf, they now have a 4 yr old. I know another woman who had a baby after being tied, she has a 3yr old, yes it does happen
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 9:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2010