Do you think there is anything wrong with giving your child(ren) gently used toys for Christmas?

I think as long as they look good, and not all messed up it is ok...With these hard times it is just more then we can handle this year so I am thinking I am going to have to do some shopping on Craigs list..for all the kids.

kids_r_gr8

Asked by kids_r_gr8 at 1:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Holidays

• I see nothing wrong with it at all. Try freecycle.com too.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Not at all..and unless people are raising spoiled brats, the kids won't care.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• No, I think it's wonderful. Children need to understand that things don't need to be NEW in order to be good... Lots of times you can find "like new" toys and whatnot and children will never even know the difference anyways...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Not one bit.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Do it ALL the time and not just for my own. My daughter's first birthday came mostly from our local thrift store, pooh theme. Last year a few gifts came from the DI too. It's just more econmoical.
    I'm also the type who likes to give baby gifts for my friends and people I care about. I do what I call the old and new. As soon as I know what someone I care about is having I go on the prowl at garage sales and DI for good looking things on the cheap and I'll usually buy one or two things maybe every month for that person. Then when it's closer to baby being born I go buy something new. A toy or a cute onsie. And usually on clearance beucase I don't have a ton and thenload it all in a bag or whatever and even though I didn't spend too much I still have lots to give. (One year for a friend who was having her first I was able to find her a highchair for 10 bucks to include in her shower gift).
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:21 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My kids and their cousins are doing a toy/book exchange for the holidays this year. Each child is picking a book or toy they own to send to one of their cousins (they drew names a few weeks ago). It's not about a toy being brand new in a shiney box; it's about the thought and care that go into thinking about a person and choosing something they will enjoy for years to come.

My son drew for one of his boy cousins. That young man is getting a classic edition (originally from MY childhood library) of The Swiss Family Robinson and a small teddy bear and the girl cousin my daughter drew is getting a bear and The Arabian Nights.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Nothing wrong with it at all. I'm giving some of my kids used items to other families who can not afford Christmas, I think it's perfectly acceptable to buy used items. In fact I'm thinking of buying DD a used gameboy or nintendo ds for christmas. She won't care, she's 6 and she just sees it as hey she got a new game!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• no it's better than not being able to give your kid anything at all
    Ericaca

Answer by Ericaca at 3:01 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I find nothing wrong with it. I love Gamestop for useed games for Wii ( and others) DD will be getting a few of those. Plus i will be dropping things off at goodwill this week or next, and if I see anything either of my kiddos would like, they will be getting it for Christmas.
    endurablemist

Answer by endurablemist at 6:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Nothing wrong with it!! I was JUST talking to my sister and her favorite Christmas was the year dad had lost his job. Mom went up to the attic and pulled out her old dolls and gave them to us! We still have them and remember that Chrsitmas fondly!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2010