how do i get cats to leave me alone?

at my house and at my friends house, the cats try to sleep on or against me. i don't like cats.

tristanjsmom

Asked by tristanjsmom at 2:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Pets

• Carry a can with 5 pennies in it. Whenever a cat comes near you, shake the can.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:12 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Move them away from you, don't move away from them. Ask your friend nicely to shut them in a room when you visit and if you don't like cats why do you have them? I love cats, I have 3 but I know who has allergies, who isn't a pet person. They get put in a bedroom, the dogs go out back. I don't mind making my friends comfortable when they are here.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 3:16 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• my hubby son and brother like cats. both of ours are rescues... one was in a trash bag near a dumpster, the one that is the worst nearly got hit by 3 cars. i am taking care of my friends kids over at her house for the weekend.doing the room thing would be cruel! pennies in a can might work... but not at bed time... i pick them up and gently toss them off of me... still the smallest comes back and lays between me and my son while i am trying to feed.
    tristanjsmom

Comment by tristanjsmom (original poster) at 3:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yeah, the feeding is a no no! Just keep tossing them away, wait- that sounds cruel. lol Move them but in a mother cat sort of way. Grab the scruff of their neck and place them some where they are allowed to be. Yeah, my cats don't get locked up for day in day out so thats not an option for you but niether is pennies in a can at bedtime... maybe a cat nip toy for bed time that will keep them occupied in the kitchen?
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 3:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It's not cruel as long as they have a liter box, food and water. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• haha, Like I said, not a day in day out resolution! yikes...
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 3:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• thanks...
    tristanjsmom

Comment by tristanjsmom (original poster) at 4:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i am an animal lover but cats are not my favorite animal. my family is allergic esp to cats so i dont pet or approach them when we visit others. i think they know i am not fond of them so they try like crazy to sit with me. i just shoo them away in a kind manner. i think they try harder if you dont want to pet them. i know they dont like citrus, coffee,and mothballs. maybe have a citrus candle going or put a mothb all in your pocket while drinkling coffee?we have a neighbors cat spraying my garage so i spray the outside with citrus spray i found at the grocery store. i also threw a few mothballs in eack corner. ir ead htey dont like coffee grounds alos. GL
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2010