doctor appointment questions...tips......

I feel like my dr isnt preparing me for my baby or labor. Everything i know is from the internet. What are some good questions i can ask to feel more connected to my dr and feel better prepared?
Also, my dr is on leave for a few months so i have been seeing the other drs in her practice, theres only the chance i will actually deliver with her, depending if she is on call. I dont care for the other doctors, is it too late to change ob's now? I am 39 weeks......

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 2:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I think it would be difficult to find an OB to take you on this late in your pregnancy.

Also, I am not sure how your doctor is billing you, but mine was kinda a package deal (all pre-natal visits, labor and delivery, plus 6 weeks postpartum for $2500, $2700 if it ended with a C-Section)

If I were in your situation, and chose to find a new OB, I would have had to pay for each visit separately ($225 a visit) and then pay the new OB for whatever fees they want.

I think it will be simpler for you to just stay where you are now, you barely see the doctor anyways. Mine had his own private practice, so there was a very slim chance that I would NOT have him at delivery, but he ended up going out of town for a family emergency when I was 37 weeks and wouldn't you know I delivered that Saturday? lol. I had never met the doctor that came, but I only saw him for a total of maybe 1 hour my whole visit.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I would say yes but you never know. It might depend on your hospital on how fast the switch could take place. Now if you are talking about switching to another hospital that might be harder. Honestly I think it would depend on your hospitals policies. Call and ask that way you know for sure.
    amanda1503

Answer by amanda1503 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I think when it comes down to it, the doctor really does'nt matter. You may spend all this time preparing and expecting one doctor to deliver you and then gosh only knows what may happen. You may go into labor while visiting your family and be taken to a completly different hospital all together lol. Educate yourself is my best advice. I felt very little connection with all of the doctors in the practice with my second daughter and found I was my best advocate and source of information. Read everything, talk to everyone and learn as much as you can.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• YA I GO TO A MEDICAL GROUP. SO THERE IS A DOZEN DRS THAT I WOULD HAVE ANY1 OF THEM DEPENDING WHO IS ON CALL. I ONLY HAVE A 1 OUT OF 12 CHANCE TO GET MY ACTUAL DR.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 12:09 PM on Nov. 4, 2008