Bi-racial/Multi-racial

My children are black and Mexican-American (hispanic). Since they have been old enough to understand I have taught them about both heritages. I feel they should be proud of both and embrace who they are. They are out going, great grades in school, join sports and clubs as they can fit them into our schedule. The only thing I don't understand is why some people ask them to chose? Why chose only one race when they are made up of two? Sometimes neither race accepts them, but the thing I love about them is that it doesn't bother them if they're accepted or not. It bothers me because I'm mom.

suelo74

Asked by suelo74 at 4:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• You're right. They shouldn't have to choose. If I were you (and depends on who's asking) I'd come up with a smart come-back that would make them think about what they're asking.
    Btw, good job on raising your children with strong self value! Don't let anyone step on them and make them question who they are!
    LillysWorld

Answer by LillysWorld at 5:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree. you're doing a great job ! My hubby is a Native Ojibway Man....While my children are white (all from ex-hubby and I), I still very much encourage them to learn and even live partially by Ojibway beliefs and culture. Even though they do not have Ojibway blood, my hubby is very much a part of them....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:18 AM on Nov. 15, 2010