What should I do about this?

I have a bit of a situation with my 17 year old daughter. Basically, she made a stupid bet with one of her best friends over something silly, lost, and now doesn't want to pay up. The forfeit for losing the bet was supposed to be like a food fight, but the loser has to wear her "best outfit" and get it messed up. It's stupid, I know, but they're young. My daughter lost of course and as you might imagine she now doesn't like the bet so much now that she is supposed to wear one of her nice outfits (dress/heels) and get messy. She wants to call it off or wear some grungy old clothes, but of course her friend thinks that is unfair. I can't disagree. Now obviously I don't really want my daughter to ruin a nice outfit that she paid for herself, but I think she needs to be taught a lesson, that she can't make bets and then expect no consequences if she loses. IMO, she agreed to it, she should go through with it. What should I say/do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• gotta own up to your words. Pay the piper. Don't make bets you can't pay up on. Lesson learned.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:01 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I'd say just that - "you agreed to it, you should go through with it", and I'd throw in a little "these are the types of decisions that will determine your character". Help her to set a date & time for the bet to be paid, that way it'll be concrete.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• What you say is true. But does the girlfriend really know what your daughter BEST outfit is?

Answer by louise2 at 6:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Well "best" outfit is subjective so probably not. But I think it means, something she would wear out on a nice date or to a dance. I think the outfits they both had in mind were their homecoming dresses from last month.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• She needs to pay up. She has to learn that she can't make bets and not pay them when she loses. Find a "best" outfit that can be washed. Have her pay her bet and wash the outfit right away. Next time, she may think twice about making a bet.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree,if she wasn't specific on the outfit find a "best outfit" that can be washed easily and make her go through with the bet.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Id stay out of it. Tell her shes not going to be taken seriously next time if she doesnt follow through on her words this time... and next time it might be something more important than a stupid bet.
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010