If your little one uses a pacifier, please help.....

My son is alittle over 3 months old. He has been sleeping through the night for a month now. He would always wake up right at 2;30am for his pacifier and fall back asleep even before I could get back into bed but over the past wk the times he wakes up for that "stupid" pacifier has increased to like 5 times a night and it's only getting worse! I can't keep doing this! Please any advice? My son is very stubborn, he can cry(or I should say whine) for over an hr. and not give up. This pacifier has helped a lot when he was a little new born to calm him down and he really doesnt use it that much when he is awake but he has to have it or he WONT go to sleep. please any help?

Nienna7477

Asked by Nienna7477 at 6:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First try to feed him (which it sounds like you are doing), then rock and cuddle him. Babies go through (at least all of mine have) cycles of sleeping through the night and then all of a sudden NOT!!! It is exhausting, but one day he will sleep through the night again. Try to enjoy those times with him because they do eventually end.

I am currently up with my 11 month old about 4 times at night. He is also fighting a cold, so I know it is partly due to that. Are you nursing? He could also be going through an appetite increase. Hang in there!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My kids went through this too. 3 months is a little too young to find his pacifier on his own, unfortunately. I think what you might be dealing with are some early teething issues - those teeth start dropping down and cutting through gums long before they make an appearance. It might not be the teeth, but he isn't waking up just to get the pacifier - I'd bet he's waking up because of something else (teething pain, reflux, hunger, bad dreams, something). Once you figure out what that is, you might be able to address it and he'll stop waking so frequently at night.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• are you sure he's not hungary? He could be growing and needs fed more. Try filling up his belly the first time he wakes up through the nite. As nice as it would be for them to keep the same schedule, that doesn't always work. I'd try that, see if it works. Good luck!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:16 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Do you feed him in the middle of the night? He might be hungry.

Answer by louise2 at 6:16 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i was going to say the same thing as Dr. Donna.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• not hungry. Every time I try to feed him at night he plays :( I try to burp him and nothing. I know he is drooling like crzy so it could be teething. guess I should try baby oragel? and if it is bad dreams how are you supposed to help a 3month old with that? other then snuggle and comfort them?
    Nienna7477

Comment by Nienna7477 (original poster) at 7:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If the drool machine has started, it's a good indication that you're dealing with teething. I'd probably go with a little bit of Tylenol as I don't know how far into the gums oragel can go. If it's bad dreams - nothing to do but snuggle and wait the stage out.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:04 AM on Nov. 15, 2010