i need to know this cuz i've never heard of it

a person i used to know got mad at me one time over a bible. this happened afew years ago but someone brought it again and got me thinking. is there such a thing as a catholic bible? as you can guess i'm not catholic. i do have friends that are. my friends and i read from the same book, was this person just being an ass cuz he don't like his faith? any info would be helpful

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 6:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The Catholic and Orthodox bibles are the version that existed before it was altered after the reformation. The protestant version (KJV, NIV, etc) takes out some of the original books and makes a few other alterations. Some will include them grouped together at the end of the OT or as an appendix, while in Catholic and Orthodox bibles they appear where they always fell, in the same order between other books.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:21 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yes there is a Catholic Bible. It's very similar to other Bibles but footnotes are included, as well as the 7 deuterocanonical books that aren't in the protestant version.  Hope this helps.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yes! There are additional books in the Catholic Bible. The rest, is the same as any Bible - just with added books.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:01 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yes, there are additional books in the Catholic Bible that are not included in Protestant Bibles.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yeah there is a Catholic bible
    bucky77

Answer by bucky77 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yes. My friend who is Catholic has one and it doesn't have a lot of what my Bible does and then again it has a lot of what my Bible doesn't.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 1:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Wow, I think NotPanicking gave the most accurate answer. Those 7 books were in there from the beginning, and are not "additional" books. Deuterocanonical means "second canon". They appeared in the Greek version of the Old Testament for the Jews of the Diaspora (dispersed believers) living outside of Israel, as many of them spoke Greek. The Hebrew Bible did not contain those books as part of its canon. Since Jesus quoted from these books, as did several other N.T. authors, we know that the early Christians read and valued these books. I don't have a reference for that right now, and I have a test tomorrow so I won't have time to look for it.

In Protestant Bibles, if the books appear, they are in a section called the Apocrypha, which means basically "not inspired". When Catholics talk about apocryphal books, we are referring to things like the "gospel" of Thomas - books that were not chosen for the official canon.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• yes, they carry other stories that some protestant books don't.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Why not just have one Bible to rule them all?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 7:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2010