Child care ratio

What is the average ratio for children to child care providers at daycare. My son is 3 months old.

JackJacksMomma

Asked by JackJacksMomma at 2:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In my state I can only have 6 kids total, with 2 under 2 years old. In centers that have only babies, I think it's 1:4.~~ Every state is different!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Go to your states social services website, as JJ'smomma stated, every state has their own set laws. It depends on the age. Usually its 4 to 1, or 6 to 1.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• if they are under two here in Colorado is it 1:4. Once they are over two it is 1:6, but that is the max. Once you have more than 6 children, you need a second provider regardless of the children's age. I was going to do home child care so I looked into it here.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• depends on state. Florida it is 4:1 infants. 6:1 toddlers. and 11:1 two year olds (not sure older)
    Anonymous

• I live in MA and am infant toddler teacher certified. I worked in a daycare center. In my state the ratios are as follows: infants 0-15 months 1:3 or 2:7. Toddlers whom are 15 months through 2 years 9 months 1:4 or 2:9. Preschoolers age 2.9-5 is 1:9 or 2:20. At home based daycares this is different. No more than six children with no more than three children under the age of two one whom must be eighteen months and walking. Then there are large family daycares which can have an assistant but no more than ten children.
    jlemaycox

Answer by jlemaycox at 7:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2008