Which life is more precious?

If told a mother will certainly die by giving birth to their unborn child....would you be ok with her aborting to save her own life?
Or do you feel the baby's life is more precious and the mother should sacrifice herself for the sake of that babys' life?
If the mother opted for abortion to adopt a child in the future, so that she may be alive to raise it...do you find that to be wrong?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 7:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• well i already am a mother of three so if i were to get pregnant again and be told carrying that child would kill me, i find that the lives of the children i have are more precious. why should i sacrifice myself and leave my kids without a mother?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I did do just that. Although, there was a high chance the baby would not make it anyway.

Look, i have a living daughter & a living husband. I am not going to sacrifice MY LIFE for a baby that MIGHT not survive. It's my duty to care for my already existing daughter & husband. I'm not going to abandon them....It's not a matter of which life is more precious, it's a matter who you would be leaving beahind after you died. As a mother, i CANNOT abandon the children & family i have that are already living & already need me.

We have talked about adoption because we don't want to take another risk & we believe that there are many children who already need homes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• That's almost unfair to ask! I some what agree with tnm786 but I feel the child I'm carrying should also have a chance. God put him/her in my body for a reason. I would have to depend on my faith that GOD's will be done.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 7:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• "God put him/her in my body for a reason. I would have to depend on my faith that GOD's will be done. "

If there was without a DOUBT you WILL die if you give birth to that child....what would you do? I only ask this because of the story of read the other day about the woman who did just this thing. Doctors told her you WILL die, and she gave birth regardless. And sure enough, she died and left her child motherless.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 7:17 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It may seem unfair to ask but it happens. Pregnancy is not always as easy as get pregnant have a baby life is great for everyone.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would abort. I have a son who needs me and I WILL NOT leave him motherless. Plus the chances of the baby surviving aren't very good in most of those situations.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I've always been pro-choice for everyone, but generally anti-abortion for myself. This is one of the only scenarios I can even imagine contemplating it. Especially now that I have a child, I wouldn't want to leave him motherless if there was NO DOUBT I would die from having another child. Obviously there are always risks, so if the risk was just slightly higher than average, I might take the chance that things will go well and trust my doctors will do their best to help me. If it was a sure thing that it would kill me, then yes, I would at least be thinking about the possibility of aborting. If I knew the risks were that high to begin with, I would probably take extra precautions to make sure it didn't even happen though. So, this imagined scenario would have to be one where I only discover this enormous risk after I find out I'm pregnant.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The only thing I can say here is that if I were in that situation I would opt for my baby to be born (and this was stated to daddy as ALL THREE of my children were born) and for myself to be allowed to die. I have had the chance to live my life and would want the baby to have the same chance.

Self sacrifice for the life of my most precious gift to the world. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Mom should give up her life for the life of the child IMO.

If she chooses to abort and then adopt later so that SHE can be there to raise it... she is just selfish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Maybe you should have asked when the clause that this was your first child or something? I know what you're getting at though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2010