How do you get your kids to sleep in thier own room?

They were great as toddlers/babies. but now that they are 2 and 4 they refuse to sleep in their own beds without my husband sleeping on the floor. And if he comes downstairs after they fall asleep inevitably they will come down at 1-2 am begging him to come back up. there is no amount of begging or bribing that has worked and this has been going on for 6 months.!!!!! any suggestions?

MissV_66

Asked by MissV_66 at 7:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think it is going to take alot of work. I would put your kids to bed and don't stay with them. Sit outside their room and if they get up put them right back in bed. With my kids we had a routine. Everynigth we would have a snack, watch a TV show. Then we brush our teeth and read a book. After that I would tell them it is time for bed, I would kiss them and leave the room. If they got up I would just put them back into bed. It can get frustrating and you have to be very consistant and don't back down. It may take a few days, although in the end it might work. I can't say it totally will, its just what worked with my kids.

Also, if they don't have a night light I would think about getting one. It might help. Lastly, I would talk to the older one and see why they don't want to sleep. He/she might be able to tell you if they are afraid of something.
    Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:21 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I'd talk to them and find out why they don't want to sleep in their beds and why they feel they need dad in there. Once you know why they don't want to be alone you can work to solve it. It could be they are scared of the dark, or scared of "monsters". My middle was like that he was scared to sleep in his bed. We put a night light in his room, and I would spray 'monster b gone' spray (aka room freshener) to scare all the monsters away (it worked too! they never came back). He also would take and drag the cat to bed with him, and the cat would actually stay and sleep on his bed to 'protect' him as well. We also had a bedtime routine- bath, pjs, drink, book, spray.... and that seemed to help as well. If they are afraid of 'noises' then I would suggest turning on a cd player or a white noise machine and play some soothing sounds. Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:18 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It will be hard but you just have to put them to bed and leave. You will have to do it over and ver. There will be crying and screaming. You have to be firm. Every time they get up, put them back in bed. Do they have a night light?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Thank you! those are great suggestions. I do have a night light and an infant and have been too tempted to just do what they want because of sheer exhaustion. I must must start a routine and stick to it! wish me luck!
    MissV_66

Comment by MissV_66 (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• don't sleep with them any more... my girls are 2 and 3 and have no issues... no amount of begging will get me or their dad to sleep in their room... they are welcome to fuss all they want, but eventually they end up sleeping in their beds...
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I got the same problem! Good luck to you! I am so hoping that my daughter outgrows it before college. hee hee
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yup, my kids do the same thing...no amount of consistent "putting them back in their own beds" worked. It's been over a year now since they started this and, if I EVER want to sleep, I have no choice but to give in....work doesn't like it when I fall asleep at my desk due to fighting with them all night o.O
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:55 AM on Nov. 16, 2010