What is your personal viewpoint on "Church and State" as far as the government allowing Faith Based Organizations to apply for federal funds? (In this case it would be to help ex-criminals re-enter into the community successfully)

Faith Based Programs all over the country have played a great part in helping ex-prisoners become stable and productive members of society. (more so than regular-funded or secular programs) However some Americans argue that this is a violation of church and state because not only do they think the government has pried enough when it comes to churches but do not want their "Freedom of Religion" taken away in the future. Some think that the standards of faith based programs will not meet government standards. However, these programs save the gov. ALOT of $$ and tend to lower the risk of the ex-prisoner relapsing. What do YOU think? Do you have any personal experience(s) that relates to this subject that you would like to share?
(this is for a paper I am writing so I may use what you post, depending on you. Your privacy is respected on my part, so please let me know.) Thank you much!

shestands4truth

Asked by shestands4truth at 7:12 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm really for any program that can show good results and money management.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't think money should be set aside especially for them so that the state is not favoring any particular religion, but they can apply for federal funding to assist those in need like any other organization. They should be audited to be sure the funds are used properly.

"Grant funds may not be used for inherently religious activities such as worship, prayer, proselytizing, or devotional Bible study. The funds are to be used to further the objectives established by Congress such as economic development, food aid, fighting disease, disaster relief, as well as other USAID stated programs and goals. A faith-based organization should take steps to ensure that its inherently religious activities, such as religious worship or instruction are separate - in time or location - from the government-funded services that it offers....." a>
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have a BIG problem with faith-based programs receiving federal funds. Federal money should be available (through the proper programs) for any one who needs help. Too many faith-based programs talk about god, morality, etc. as a way toward becoming "reformed." How is that equal when there are people who don't believe the same way? I'm sure there are organizations out there that wouldn't push their spiritual views through the program, but how could that be policed?

Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would love to see all of the collective data proving that faith based intervention is more successful at reintegrating them into our society. and I wonder too, if the number of faith based rehab centers is disproportionately larger than that of secular ones... which would account for higher stats.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If the program works better that those set up by the government then I am all for supporting them. I would rather my tax dollars be used for that then to line some fat cat's pocket.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Sorry I tried to include a link for the quote above, but must have ran out of space...

USAID.GOV
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have no problem with it. IMO, many of these criminals turn around because of the faith part. I think any program that does good for the community should be able to apply for funds. I agree with auditing and most churches/ministries are very good at their accounting procedures as their congregation would not be happy if funds were being used inappropriately. Our church has a prison ministry that is member supported. However, the difference with faith-based programs, such as a half-way house, etc., that "shows" the love of the faith without being a "witnessing" ministry should be able to apply. However, I also feel that the majority of funds should come from donations and that the government involvement should be limited to basic needs such as food, clothing, housing, etc. basically, to help cover the items needed for the ex-convicts, not the organization..if you get what I mean. :) Good luck on your paper!
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:18 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• thank you much for all of your responses. You are appreciated!
    shestands4truth

Comment by shestands4truth (original poster) at 3:15 AM on Nov. 16, 2010