Would you leave your church if your Pastor of 35 years came out of the closet?

This well known Evengelical Pastor, at a popular maga church in Atlanta, did just that. He came out of the closet in front of the whole congregation.

His sermon is AMAZING! It's long, about an hour. He confesses 9 minutes into it & goes on talking about how homosexuality is really not a choice. He said he was born with two definitives in his life;

1) That he is to preach the gospel

2) That he is homosexual

I will provide a link to the article & also a link to the video if anyone wants to watch it. It's really awesome!

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 7:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think that anyone who would leave a congregation because of this wasn't there for the right reasons in the first place. I would assume if you went to this church regularly it was because you felt close to your god, and you got spiritual guidance. So the pastor comes out of the closet and his word doesn't mean the same anymore? Hypocritical and judgmental.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:05 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• God DOES want us to deny ourselves (our sinful nature).
    Luke 9:23 "Then he said to them all 'If any man would come after me he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me'"

I have met many alcoholics who no longer drink. I personally believe that they were born with a proclivity to alcohol, but they make a choice not to drink. Surely you don't think that simply because they were born that way they should continue to drink?! I think being gay is the same way. People may be born with a proclivity towards being gay, but they can make a choice not to participate in that lifestyle.

Answer by missanc at 9:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yep, we'd leave. For two reasons. One, if our pastor came out it would mean that he's been lying to us all along, and not practicing what he preaches. And Two, it goes against what we believe.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 10:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Pastors are supposed to be held to a higher standard. Are they sinners? Sure. Are they still permitted to do their job as sinners? Sure. HOWEVER, a pastor who is shepherding a flock is ALSO supposed to be a living example and as such would have to be actively turning away from his sin and pursuing righteousness. If a Pastor comes out of the closet, the first question shouldn't be, "should I leave?" It should be, is he embracing the homosexual lifestyle (which lets face it, the only difference between the homosexual lifestyle and the heterosexual lifestyle is the sex)? Or is he turning away from it and pursuing celibacy? Like it or not, but celibacy for a "born" homosexual would be the only way to turn away from that sin.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• "That being gay is a sin of some sort"

So is lying. Which is what he was doing when he pretended to be straight and live a straight life. Which would you rather a liar or an honest gay man?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• There is a difference between slipping up and committing a sin, and continually living a sinful lifestyle.
    No, I would not leave my church because he would be asked to leave. We are Southern Baptist and believe that being gay is a sin. But - we also would ask him to leave if he had an extramarital affair, was getting drunk, gambling, etc.

Answer by missanc at 9:05 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I'm most likely going to get voted down for this,but I'm answering honestly and for me. If my preacher came out and the elders of my congregation chose not to remove him immediately then yes I would leave. I will not stay in a congregation where such a blatant sin is tolerated. If the preacher came out and then repented of that sin (or any other public sin for that matter) and we knew that he would no longer practice that lifestyle, then I'd stay. I would still love the man, I would continue to pray for him if he chose to remain in that lifestyle. But I would not ever let my child think it is okay to have a preacher live that way.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Wow. I am in shock. I say good for him for being true to himself, despite the fact that he will surely feel the judgement of others for it. Good for him for trying to help others see being gay in a different light. That it is a part of life, not a choice, not an abomination, not a ticket to hell....that he like all others is just another child of their god.
    I only hope his congregation embraces him as they did before. As not one of them is without sin, according to their god.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My personal opinion is this--- the pastor is the same guy he was before his big announcement about being gay. The only thing that has changed is now everyone knows he is gay. If I really liked the pastor, liked his sermons and liked how he preached then I would remain a member of the church and keep going to hear him preach. His being gay would not make me want to quit or change to a different church.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:04 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i would leave ~ he is a liar and did not follow the bible ~ no faith "

Are you not a sinner? Or just a hypocrite? He was a liar before he recognized who he was and came out. What about your forgiveness of others? Do you not forgive as JEsus would do?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2010