My mom told me we are too accomodating to my inlaws....

Are we? I am going to a football game today which is the last official game for my son's freshmen team. I am so excited and so is my son, but my husband will not make it. His father is taking a flight back from a convention and my husband has to go pick him up. I asked my husband if he told his son and he said I guess he knows. I told my son and he seemed so surprised since he never told him. I had to ask to figure it out. It seems whenever he wants something done he always asks his son to do it. I am sick of this bs.Any advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it's very important that children be taught that they can't always have things the way they would really want them. Why not use this incidence to teach that to your son? You can also talk to him about the importance of honoring one's parents. This one could be extremely important since you will one day be counting on your children to help you out at times. My husband and I are threre right now, and I'm very thankful I taught these concepts to our children when they were younger. There were many times when I had to be Dad's representative at school events, because Dad simply could not always be present. The children were not at all harmed by that. In fact, I think it made the times when Dad could make it even more special to them.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• How else would your FIL get home from the airport? Do your DH and his parents have a good relationship? If the relationship is one-sided, I may feel differently - but sometimes we have to make choices and not everyone will be happy. Your DH should have told your son he wasn't going to attend, but your son shouldn't be mad at him for not going. I've had to change plans with my kids because I needed to do something with my parents, my DH has as well. My kids understand.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Why can't the man use a cab?
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I can see how it would be hurtful to your son since his dad didn't tell him, you did. I would wander if there was someone else to pick up your FIL. I know my MIL will make a big deal of little things and think my husband should be there for every decision she has to make. If this is the same in your case (someone else could be doing what your hubby is) I can see your mom's point. Just as I don't think we are to be at our children's beck and call, I don't think we are to be at our parent's either.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't think there is anything wrong with that. It's a pain in the ass to schedule decent filight times without paying $100 more for it! Sometimes our kids need to learn that things don't always work out to get the ideal situation. There will be other games, even though this is the last one for this year.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2010