Any harm in starting stage 1 baby food(s) for my baby now or wait just a little longer?

I think that they say when babies turn four months you can to introduce the stage 1 baby foods. In eleven says my son will be four months. The doctor said that he can now have juice-diluted, of course, but I forgot to ask about light baby foods such as hawaiian-delight, applesauce, and a few other light foods. the bottles say that stage one is for supported sitters, and he does that a little. Just want to get ll of these goods moms opinions before I make my decision. Can anyone offer pleasant advice? It would be helpful. Me and little Ethan thank all who respond!!!

CowboyMama

Asked by CowboyMama at 8:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its just mushed up food. It wont matter if you make him wait a little longer. You could eat it too, its the same food, just mushed up for toothless short people ;)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My niece just started fruits and veggies stage 1 she just turned 4 months. Her mom told me doctor told her she could start feeding baby food and that she shouldn't drink as much milk.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 8:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• go for it. A few days wont hurt/. Don't over do it though. wait a wk before trying something new and have a camera ready!! Your going to get a lot of mixed opinions on this b/c some mama believe you should wait till there like 6months. but do what you thik and feel is right for your baby. If you think he is ready then trust your judgment!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 8:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It's better to wait until 6 months, but if you are determined to start baby food then you need to stick with foods that have only one ingredient - like applesauce, or bananas. Foods like hawaiian delight have a mix of several different fruits. You give him one new food, and then wait 2-3 days before introducing the next ingredient (in case there is an allergic reaction you know which food caused it). Give him every item in a food separately before introducing mixes of foods.
    Also, some people say to give veggies first rather than fruits so they don't develop a "sweet tooth" but I never noticed a difference with any of my kids over which I started first.

Answer by missanc at 8:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• WoW!!! Thank all of you for responding...its breakfast for me central time...8:20, and I have an applesauce for him...and I will do one ingredient at a time!!! Thanks again...have a GR-8 day everyone!!
    CowboyMama

Comment by CowboyMama (original poster) at 9:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Go ahead and start it , I had to give my nephew stage 1 at 3 months b/c he was eating but wasnt gaining weight from the formula
    jazmya_mom

Answer by jazmya_mom at 9:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You should wait until 6 months for solids... and a year or later for juice. Theres just absolutely no need to give them either at this age, so why do it and possibly risk allergies and juice addiction? 'He should be sitting UNsupported before starting solids and you can offer water in a sippy.

Beware that *most* regular applesauce contains sugar. And what is Hawaiian delight?
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You do whatever you think is right for your baby, he'll survive. But I would reconsider using a docter that tells you to start juice at 4 months. I really think starting kids so early contributes to the weight problem in the US. Don't be in a rush he'll be eating pork chops in no time! :-)
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 11:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• hawaiian delight, is like desert for babies. i nvr fed my babies the desserts. the fruits are sweet enough for them. and i think its got too many ingredients and jus crap. full of sugar. when im looking for baby food, i always look at the ingredients. if its more than 3 "necessary" items like say :green beans, water, some times absorbic acid. if it has more-i dont buy it. all the extra stuff isnt necessary. also, u can start baby on solids when u want. if u think he is still hungry after a bottle. but stick with single ingredients. no turkey & peas. or sweet potato & corn. just: squash, peas, pears, apples, etc. good luck. (oh, and i usually thin my daughter (shes almost 4mths too) with formula instead of water/juice. Juice @ 6mths
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010