DO mornings turn into a battle at your house?

my son will do everything he can think of to get out of geting dressed... or whatever he needs to get ready for school....

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 8:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes sometimes they take their time getting ready and I keep reminding them of the time. Then when we hear the bus coming down the street they find their selves running out the house to catch the bus. Even if I wake them up extra early but we also have those days they get ready in 15 mins. Those mornings are wonderful!
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Not really, he is apparently a morning person. Getting him awake can sometimes be a pain, but once I pull the covers off he is awake and happy and smiley.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• nah, my battles are in the evenings. Kinda the same thing tho. They are all grumpy and tired and just want to whine and argue about every little thing.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• yes but not for getting ready. He's ready and rearing to go...very impatient. He wants to do everything himself and he's only 3 so....it gets a little irritating since he can't do everything. Arguing seems to be his favorite thing right now:(

BJN2in10

Answer by BJN2in10 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My son is 7, he takes him longer to get dressed then my 4 & 5 yr old girls, I started taking things away that he really likes to play with, such as his fav toy or his outside time and it helps with his getting dressed in the mornings :)
    houshyzoe

Answer by houshyzoe at 8:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• no, not at all! I wake up at 6:25, and wake up my son, he gets dressed and is out the door to wait for the bus by 7 AM. I then wake up the other 3 kids and make breakfast!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• YES! My 8 and 5 year olds don't battle me, they're happy to get up and go to school, but they are so grumpy with each other. I have to wake them up 15 to 20 minutes apart and keep their routines staggered so they don't have to deal much with each other except for the ride to school. Thank God that's only a mile. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 9:01 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I put several of his favorite toys on the kitchen table, and once he's dressed and ready, he can come to the table. If he starts whining, one toy gets removed. I don't comment on it, just remove. I find that once we set up the system, told him what was going to happen, the less I talk, the better it is.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My 12 yo started this year if I'm not getting out the door right on time to drive her to the bus stop she 'says to me' where are you Mom, gotta go kinds of things. lol
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 11:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• not with my son cuz he is 4....but my mom has trouble getting my youngest brother out of bed in the morning and he is 18! he locks his door at night before bed and no one can get in his room the next day to wake him up....so she knocks on the door to wake him up and constantly says his name....he hates it but its the only way she can get him up....they end up being late for school everyday i guess.....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2010