My son is afraid of everything...

He's 3 years old. He's always saying "I'm scared" whether it's of "going outside' or of monsters, or of the bath. He's afraid to leave the house, afraid to take a bath, afraid to do so much...I don't understand where this is coming from. It's a new things, only been going on for about two weeks. Anyone else ever come across this? What should I do? I've tried being reassuring, I've tried telling him there's nothing to be afraid of, I've tried telling him to face his fears...nothing seems to work.

BisketLiss

Asked by BisketLiss at 8:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's probably just a stage he's going through. Most likely stemming from Halloween. Scary costumes, decorations, TV shows etc. I would just not pay too much attention to it & don't make it like it's a big deal. When he has to go outside just say you will hold his hand and that you are never afraid since there is nothing to be afraid of & there are no monsters. Say "You silly, it's all make believe! That you have never seen anything scary ever & you are a lot older even & laugh"! Minimize it & it will soon disappear. Make sure the TV shows & cartoons he watches are sweet themed and not scary too. Or just get him some "Baby Einstein DVD's" from the library. My son is 4 & still loves them & they relax him.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Many kids go thru that stage. Just reasure him that you are there to take care of him. Does he go to daycare or something where someone may have scared him? Just a though. I hope he gets thru this quickly, it is hard to hear your child say they are scared.
    yellarose

Answer by yellarose at 8:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• therapy will help him
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It probably is a faze he is going threw.  You should make him take a bath, make him leave the house. MAKE him do things.  So he know they will not hurt, nothing will happen to him if he does these things.

Answer by louise2 at 8:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• my oldest goes through stages like this... if it's not over in a couple weeks i would dig deeper, but chances are it's just a phase.
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My daughter started to do that for some time. I then found another Mom on Cafemom that makes tooth monsters. The idea of this tooth monster is to put the child's teeth in them when they fall out so that they tooth fairy knows where to find them and then she leaves the money it it as well. The pocket for the tooth is the mouth and it is very cute but the day it was delivered to our house, there was a storm rolling in. I told my daughter that her monster was there to frighten away the storm and to help protect her. It worked, she held on to the monster and it made her feel better. She now uses it for everything that she is afraid of. I can get the CM ladies name to you if you are interested in check out her monsters (I believe the co is Lu and Ed) but if you PM me I can give you more info.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think its just a stage. My son recently started doing this just before Halloween this year. I just don't make a big deal about it and tell him that there's nothing to be scared of, that usually works for him.
    mindi6103

Answer by mindi6103 at 1:49 AM on Nov. 16, 2010