14 year old starting to learn she has sex appeal.

How do you teach a teen girl to have healthy views of her body? I don't want to go there with her already, but she is figuring things out on her own. I can talk until I'm blue in the face about self-respect, but she just thinks she's hot!

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Sex appeal gives women power over men. That can be a heady thing for a teenage girl when she learns how much power she has. You make sure that she doesn't go out of the house dressed inappropriately, make sure that she doesn't even own clothes she could change into (my parents ensure that I didn't have enough money around to buy a 2nd wardrobe for myself - it went into my savings account at my bank). At 14, she's not mature enough to make good decisions so you have to make sure she is well supervised at all times - you know where she is, who she's with, and know their parents. As she gets a little older she will start to discern between boys who only want sex and boys who have real value, but until then it's your job as a parent to keep her safe. And keep sending those messages about self respect, they'll eventually sink in!

Answer by missanc at 9:14 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Being hot & having confidence is ok, but just b/c she has "it" doesn't make it ok to use "it'! She can look nice w/out showing off all her "assets"! She will not be respected & possibly get a reputation for herself if she does not present herself in a respectable way.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• She should consider if she wants somebody looking at her wanting to have sex with her because she has It. Or does she want someone who likes her for the person she is.

Answer by Bmat at 9:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You are just going to hanker down and tell her what she can and can't wear - she'll fight you till the death.. but you have to remind her that you have her best interests in mind. Who does she look up to? Does she have an older sibling, friend, cousin, or someone who is dating... that could influence her. You will just have to be open and honest about what she is doing - talk to her about respect and what it means for others to respect her not just her assets.
    CariBou11

Answer by CariBou11 at 9:17 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Self respect is a top to start discussing at a very young age. Inappropriate clothing should never be allowed.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2010