if you think your spouse will disapprove of something, does it really give you the right to hide it from them?

and would you be mad if they did or would you understand their reason.

NaiveDream

Asked by NaiveDream at 8:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• No, it's not right to hide anything from your SO/DH unless it's a surprise for them. You want to have an open relationship as far as communication goes. Hiding things only leads to them not trusting you and that could lead down a very bad road. I wouldn't keep it from my DH even if he did dissaprove.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Hiding something from someone is lying, and I don't lie to my DH. I guess it would depend on the situation, but it's not for me (or my DH) to approve or disapprove of anything - we're not each other's parents.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Nope.. my hubby isnt going to agree with EVERYTHING I do and I can accept that. But I will never hide anything from him.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree with Scuba 100%
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 8:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• We have both hid superficial things from each other. We always get caught though & laugh at each other because we can't keep secrets.

He has a thing with buying work boots. He kept it from me when he bought 3 pairs of work boots, just because he wanted to wear each of them for a while & figure out which one is best. Well, i would have told him that it's a waste of money & i would have encouraged him not to do that. But, he came clean after he bought the boots...

I was dishonest about how many drinks i had last night...LOL! DD is at her dads house, we had friends over & i had a few drinks. DH wanted me to stop after 2 drinks, well after 3 drinks....i convinced him that i only had 1 drink (i have a low tolerance, he's just looking out for me) I admitted to him today that i had a total of 5 drinks. He laughed & said "I know darling, you were shitfaced".
    We just can't lie to each other...lol!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Even though you're married, people still should have personal rights and privacy. Why does the other person need to know EVERYTHING?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I like to talk to my husband about something before I get it. Sometimes he just says go ahead, and sometimes he has a better idea or some reason that it wouldn't work. If I decided to get it anyway, then I'd be open with him about it. If he would say absolutely not, which he never has- we have a 50-50 relationship- then I would respect his wishes, just as he would respect mine.

Answer by Bmat at 9:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• No i wouldn't call it hiding cause eventually I would tell him just not right away. But your right if he did it to me I'd probably be upset but I'd listen to their reason. Honestly I've never been put in that situation and I guess DH has me spoiled cause when I tell him he usually says its ok.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 9:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I try to to tell this to my hubby. He's like a little kid with some things...small things. He used to lie to me about how many beers he had becuase he knows I'm not thrilled with it after a certain limit. I asked him why, and he says because I'd be mad at him. Soooo, now I'm irriatated for being lied to over something so stupid. My wrath really isn't that bad! lool
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You don't have to lie to your SO to have personal rights and privacy Ihartu....
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 15, 2010