4 month old, when to start juices

I was wondering when is ok to give juice, he is 4 months old, but alot of times he acts hungry after about 2 or 3 hours after a 7 oz. bottle, he has not had cereal yet, except when his mother puts it in his bedtime bottle. I really think he just needs cereal during the day, but I wasn't sure about juice yet either. I ask a question earlier and someone said I should probably start cereal. I know that he is hungry more than 7 oz. of formula every 4 hours. Thanks ~ I am the grandmother and it has been a while since I did all this. LOL.

NaTilde

Asked by NaTilde at 2:59 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Juice isn't necessary, but if you do give him any, just make it one ounce of juice mixed with an ounce of water, and only do it once a day. He still needs mostly formula/breastmilk right now, so don't overdo it on anything else. And there are checklists on-line (I just saw one on www.verybestbaby.com the other day) that can tell you if he's ready to start solids or not; basic requirements are if he's eating more than 32 ounces of formula/breastmilk a day, able to hold his head up, can sit up when supported, can move food to the back of his mouth with his tongue (the only way to test that one is to try it), etc.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You've got about 8 more months to go before he needs any juice. Even then, they don't "need" it - it's a treat.
    Consider adding one "meal" a day with cereal.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Juice is totally not necessary unless it is used to help a constipated baby go to the bathroom. Water isn't necessary either. Cereal in the bottle isn't good either. My son started cereal in a bowl at 4 months old because he was hungry and I didn't want him to get into a bad habit of drinking it in his bottle. Just don't do anything without consulting the mom first. That's the most important thing. If she doesn't see a problem that you should let it go.
    nightwillow

Answer by nightwillow at 3:16 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Cereal in a bowl and then fruits and veggies would be good. She can start foods now however, leave about 3 or 4 days between to watch for allergies. WIC won't give you juice until 9 months old, so odds are you should at least wait until then. Children will survive perfectly well without juice ever. And when you do, give about an ounce of juice mixed with an ounce of water and only do that once a day. Children should get most of their nutrition from formula/breast milk until about a year. Supplementing with solids is a good idea however, juice won't fix the hunger really.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My daughter is 4 months old I give her one bottle of apple juice a day. the doctor said she doesnt need it but I give it to her on her good days kind of as a treat. She also gets 2 meals a day. RICE IN A BOTTLE IS A NO NO also just so you know.
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 4:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If the baby is hungry feed him... feed him food... all babies are ready at different times... and my son is 10mos and we still dont do juice... I dont want to give him all of that... he drinks alot of water and he has for a long time I think maybe try water first sometimes they are just thirsty
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 4, 2008