Sex of Baby

I'm just about 20 weeks pregnant and had an ultra sound last week. She said it was a girl. Twice, the first time she didn't sound sure, but then was like, "Yeah, looks like a girl." So now my boyfriend is not convinced.... he thinks like our little girl will grow a penis or something and the next ultra sound will tells us she's a boy! I just wanna go register for my baby shower and start setting up a nursery.... Is it possible that the ultra sound tech was wrong? I don't wanna get everything pink and purple and girly and then find out later it's a boy....

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 3:03 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• There is ALWAYS a chance that the US was read incorrectly or that something was not presenting itself correcctly. Th ex of the baby does not magically change and in my experienc emore often that not there are false claims of boys not girls. It's is easier to mistake a hand or cord for a penis then it is to "hide" the boy genetalia. If they say it's a girl more than likely they are fairly certain it's agirl. If they are unable to ger a totally clear view they willussually say the can't be certain but it looks like it may be... If she told you you're having a girl, I'd say it's safe to go register.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• It is always a possiblility. If you have a real good relationship with your doctor, you can request another US in a week or so. I did, but me and my doc got along real well. I told him why I wanted another one, and he laughed at me, lol, and said OK its my bills anyways, lol. Wouldn't hurt to ask, and a lot can change in a couple weeks. If its a boy, by that time it should be very obvious that its a boy. Also, the babys position has a lot to do with it too.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes they can be wrong, but not often. How about just going neutral to be on the safe side?
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 3:06 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• It's always possible. My friends were told they were having a girl, and when the baby was born, it was a boy!!!!! Some techs aren't that great at it. Mine wasn't. She was a dumbass. She couldn't even determine my due date even after she took measurements. The next one I went to did just fine.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 3:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Usually if they don't see anything to make them say boy, the will automatically say girl. They did that with ours. She stayed wrapped around my pelvic bone and WOULD NOT move at all, so they guessed. You can see on the video, the tech started to type female, she got as far as fe before I stopped her. I told her that just in case she just missed the winkey, I didn't want my son IF it were a boy to have it forever in his mind that we seriously thought he was a girl. We did end up with a girl, but still... We did everything as Christine said above, we decorated in nuetral colors, green, yellow, orange with just a baby theme. Cute little animals and such. Good luck.
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 3:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• At 20 weeks it's pretty clear...I am having a boy in March and the tech was 100% sure, there is no mistaking boy parts!
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My friend had two ultrasounds and they told her she was having a girl. She ended up having a boy. Nothing is 100%, mistakes are made from time to time.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 3:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My US tech was an idiot... She said girl, then boy, then girl, then "what did I say before?". Yes they most certainly can be wrong... I had a girl by the way. I bought everything boy because of the second USD when she said boy... We went shopping closer to due date when she said girl again... Looking back that was pretty stupid. My advice would be to register for neutral onezees, and if you have a girl, you can always get pink pants/skirts, and jackets... Register for things like exersaucers/bouncy seats/bumbo seats... Those go either way, and are more expensive for you to buy all at once. Good luck girl!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 3:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2008